Hits & Misses

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Hulgin, Apr 8, 2021.

1. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

The last time I sent out ancient coins from this collection(see other posts) to NGC was about 2 years ago. I have just opened the box again, and have gone through about a dozen coins, most of which were rejects according to this forum. Some have asked that I put up some of the ones I know are real, so here are some of the coins that I had submitted, and have come back. The pictures were taken a couple years ago and quite dark, and they were all sold, so I cannot take new ones.

medoraman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

Selucid Kingdom Tetradrachm 01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG

Curtisimo, Roman Collector and Bing like this.
  4. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

ROMAN REPUBLIC ~ DENARIUS 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG

Curtisimo, Roman Collector and Bing like this.
  5. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

6. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

7. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Point taken that forums can always be too quick to judge a coin a fake. To be fair a little, it depends on the photograph. Anything I say on a forum has to be understood it is from the photo, and in hand a coin can come off as quite different.

I do not think I ever commented on any of these. Nothing from the die looks abnormal on them. If you posted a lot of them together, the only comment I would have made is its a little weird they were all the same kind of color, but that could be from either being stored identically for a number of years together, from the same photographer, but on the dangerous side the same forger using the same coin darkener.

If someone states in a forum they are not sure its authentic, ask them why. What details are they seeing in the photograph that makes them think that. If they do not have any details, you can discount what they say IMHO. Forums share groupthink. If one person says its a fake, many others are not as likely to say it looks goods for fearing to look a fool. However, no forum can be "right" all of the time based upon a photograph.

I have commented I believe on a couple of yours sir, but by all means I would take them in person to a show and let an expert there look at them in person. That is the best way to "know" or not. If I am going to a big show in the future I would be more than willing to look at any of yours in person, and could offer a better opinion that way.

Egry, Silphium Addict and John Hulgin like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Well I trust NGC but these all have a strange dark, extremely shiny toning. Odd

Egry, Silphium Addict and John Hulgin like this.
  10. medoraman

I have seen this before sir, when the collector only bought recently found "shiny" silver coins but then they all toned together in their collection. I hear what you are saying, but that is why I prefaced my comments above saying it could be natural or a function of photography, but many of us would spot this POTENTIALLY as a red flag.

Egry, John Hulgin and hotwheelsearl like this.
  11. John Hulgin

John Hulgin JHULGIN

Thank you for all your help. These coins I sent before I knew about this group. Many of the ones that I had sent were rejected, and these were survivors. I did not post the fakes, but you can look at my posts from a few years ago I had put up several of them. I think I am going to put up a couple more next week for more help. I may go to summer Fun.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. medoraman

I would probably not be at summer FUN, but maybe the winter one. Not that I am an expert in most series, just been around a while now. Forums are weird animals. Anyone can post, so its always important to know who the poster is by their other posts to know how seriously to take their opinions. We always get new collectors jumping in for a while posting a ton of opinions that have little basis behind them, but then you have members that are literally world class experts in the field, (one is a grader for NGC, another the owner of CNG, etc). If @Parthicus says my Parthian is a fake I count that as authoritative. Many other members have similar expertise, you can pretty much close the book if they weigh in. Others are like me, wide interests who have seen a ton of coins and fakes, and might have detailed concerns about a coin. Others are newbies who haven't seen much and are just throwing stuff out there.

Lots to sort through when using any forum opinions.

John Hulgin likes this.
  13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I suspect it's the photos. It's not easy to take photos of slabbed coins. Or even to see them, sometimes.

14. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Nice coins! Makes me feel better that there were several genuine coins in the collection you purchased, and in good condition to boot.

Draft saved Draft deleted