Historical Gold Numismatic Coin Appreciation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LPaul47, Nov 13, 2019.

1. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

Hello,
    First post here!

I am new to the coin collecting world and have just a few basic pieces right now.
    Have one pre 33 coin and a few modern proof, reverse proof and bullion coins.
    Was curious about where to find information on Numismatic Gold Coin value and how that value appreciates (or from your own experiences)?
    For example:
    Would a MS65 $20 Liberty Head appreciate in value better than a MS65 $20 St. Gardens (in similar years/ect)?
    Would a low grade $5 Draped Bust, $5 Capped Bust or $5 Classic Head be a better long term decision than purchasing a few MS grade $5 Liberty Heads or $5 Indian?

Trying to get a strong feel for the values of certain coins before I buy another pre 33 coin!
    Thanks!

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You are trying to make money on coins, which is ill-advised, as it takes a lot more education than you seem interested in. No simple 10 or 15 minute Q&A session about gold coins is likely to deliver you the results that you want, so I personally think you need to pursue your goals differently.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I too am a pre-33 gold guy. I been fortunate that I have held my gold for a very long time. The bulk was purchased in the late 1990's. My experience tells me that the only way to benefit from a gold purchase is to expect it to be a loooong term purchase.

Here's the deal with gold. For the most part, the modern commemorative/bullion strikes will rise and fall in proportion to the spot gold market. You will not realize any gain other than melt prices for the modern stuff in most cases.

The pre-33 stuff does often carry with it a numismatic value. However most of the common denominations will again fall in line with the spot prices. Until you get into the very high grade pre-33 gold, their value tends to stay in in line again with the spot market. So if you have the opportunity to choose, I would always choose the earliest date I could get at the best possible grade particularly with half eagles ($5.00). Some of my favorites pieces are early Classic Head half eagles with minor dings and scratches that render them ungradable. I love pieces like that.

Finally, I like to direct folks to the PCGS pricing guide. Everyone has their own favorites. Most use a pricing guide in tandem with auction results. Their is a wealth of good info out there. I am an old guy that is not at all friendly with the digital age and I can find the stuff readily. Just stay away from the YouTube videos. They tend to be laced with a lot of false promises.

5. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

It may be a little hard to buy a nice ms-65 Lib for a decent price. What happens in US coins is that whenever a decently appearing coin comes out in a holder, dealers buy it and send it in for regrades ceaslessly until it hits that higher grade slab. Thus if you don't know what you're looking for in a 65 Liberty you may get a coin which has unsightly marks and was just recently in a 64 slab and sold at a much lower price.

I'd think that most Lib 20's are harder to find in 65 grade than St. Gaudens. Just a guess tho.

GoldFinger1969, LPaul47 and Jaelus like this.
  6. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

The first post was disrespectful in my opinion and did nothing to help; moderator or not. You have no idea of my financial situation and I am only here to learn before starting into the coin collecting community. I am sure you had 1 post or only 1 coin not that long ago.

The other posters were very helpful!

Trying to avoid ‘bad’ purchases and stay in gold coins for many many years since I am younger.

Are there specific sets or series’s that are more popular? What would the most popular pre 33 gold coins be? That might be a good starting point for me?!

What is your favorite set/coins?

Thanks to all productive replies.

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Yet it has quite a few "likes". Just saying.

8. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

Once again, not here to argue, just learn.

Herd mentality, just saying.

9. Randy Abercrombie

OP.... Yes, some of us get pretty set in our views. All these folks have the best intentions and are very learned numismatists. I regard myself as a rabid collector rather than a numismatist. And there is much, much to learn in this hobby. I like to present the hobby from an enjoyable perspective as it has certainly offered a lot of enjoyment to my years. It's just easy to get burned and I think these guys want to make sure that doesn't happen to you....... My favorite pre-33 gold is the St. Gaudens twenty dollar double eagle. It is arguably the most beautifully designed coin our mint has ever produced. And many stunning examples can be had for little more than spot prices. Here is one of my favorites from my collection.
    IMG_4044.JPG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  10. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

Beautiful coin!
    I’ll start my research into the years, mints, oddities, ect there!
    Seems like a great place to start due to the lower starting/premium prices.

11. Randy Abercrombie

Be aware that our hobby has been infected with Chinese fakes. I would start first by creating a relationship with a face to face dealer and handle some pieces before you start buying off places like Ebay. Get to know what doesn't look quite right. It's one thing to buy a fake fifty dollar coin. It's entirely another when you are talking about gold. And darned if the counterfeiters aren't getting crafty these days.

markr and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You've taken my post entirely the wrong way. I meant no disprespect at all . . . only to give the very best advice, based on what you'd written.

Your financial situation has absolutely nothing to do with the reply I left you. Based on your original post, I'd give the same advice to a pauper as to the President.

It was ten years ago when I had only one post, 50 years ago when I had my first collectible coin, and 45 years ago when I bought my first collectible gold coin.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought your goal was to make money on gold coins.

13. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

I try to stay away from fleabay.

Feelings on AU+ coins from reputable online dealers like a****.com?

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If you look through a Redbook you'll see the big differences in the pricing of different gold coin types.
    The later pieces are much more common in MS65, and you'll see that in the price differentials by grade. Type I Liberty gold $20 in 65 are expensive for a reason. Good luck and keep asking questions.

15. TheFinn

Are these certified AU+ coins, or raw coins that someone calls AU+? Can be a world of difference - even if they are slabbed.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

How in the world did you get that impression from "Would a MS65 $20 Liberty Head appreciate in value better than a MS65 $20 St. Gardens"? :rolleyes:

To the OP: If you are actually interested in these coins for their own sake, rather than just as a speculation vehicle, you've come to the right place -- but you should expect to spend a good bit of time reading books, as well as forum posts, before you'll have the knowledge you need to make wise purchasing decisions.

If you're just interested in speculation, this is even more true, unless you're the kind of speculator who doesn't mind losing lots of money.

markr, GoldFinger1969 and ToughCOINS like this.
  17. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

They are advertised as AU+ and are raw coins.
    For example: A $10 Liberty Gold Eagle AU+ or better is listed at: $740.
    Same coin, same dealer MS63 slabbed for $800.
    In your opinion, which one is the better buy/why?

18. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

If I wanted to speculate, I would buy leveraged stocks and day trade.
    :p

Like you said, I just don't want to lose a bunch of money on bad purchases.
    Trying to make smart purchases and was curious about how to best allocate my funds.
    For example, if you had $10,000 (add a zero, subtract a zero, irrelevant for the point) to spend every year on coins, would you rather buy three coins a year or save for three years and purchase something special, ect?

-jeffB likes this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't always mind losing money, but I'd want to at least have time to enjoy the process, and that's why I don't day-trade. ;)

20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

First, welcome. I though Tough meant no offense, he just was trying to avoid a potential problem. You certainly do not want to LOSE money and lose money QUICKLY by buying into an inflated coin asset or period. If you intend to dollar-cost average yearly by setting aside a fixed amount every year, that's another thing.

In addition to The RedBook, you will want to buy A GUIDE BOOK TO DOUBLE EAGLE GOLD COINS and A HANDBOOK OF 20TH CENTURY UNITED STATES GOLD COINS 1907-1933. Both indispensable, especially for Liberty DE's and Saint Gaudens.

Scan the threads here...ask questions...we're here to help. Just try and be specific.

It would also help us to know WHICH specific coins you have now and which you are looking at (year, mint, grade, and maybe $$$ value you want to spend up to).

Good question...if I had $10,000 and was just starting out accumulating (as I believe you are, with limited inventory), I'd look at the following:
    • A 1924 and/or 1927 Saint in MS-65 grades. 2 generic commons that don't sell for huge premiums over melt. If you cut out other coin choices, you might be able to stretch to MS-66 for 1 or both of these coins.
    • Some Indian Heads, not my area of expertise so I'll let others chime in what years and coins to consider.
    • A Liberty DE in AU-58 from a year where the premium to gold is not excessive.
    • Some Morgan Silver Dollars, maybe Carson City's, that will run $200-$800 in MS65-67 grades.
    That's what I would use as a starting template. Good Luck...and get those books !

21. TheFinn

I hace to see it. I don't buy coins based in someone's description.

Draft saved Draft deleted