Historical Contervesy: Diva POPPAEA & Daughter CLAUDIA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by britannia40, Sep 23, 2018.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Rarely do I write stories on Roman coins I own due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. So if anything is incorrect please let me know. This is a subject I found very interesting on a coin I own that I got from a Romanumismatics auction.

Diva Poppaea (wife of Nero) and Diva Claudia (daughter of Nero) Ӕ20 of Caesarea Paneas, Judaea. Struck under Nero, after 65 CE. [DI]VA POPPAEA AVG, distyle temple with female figure seated left / DIVA CLAVD NER F, hexastyle temple with figure standing left. RPC 4846; Meshorer 354; Hendin 1270; GBC 1270. 4.34g, 19mm, 12h W13.jpg
    Two accounts arose concerning the death or Poppaea and her child.

The first:

Claudia was the daughter of Nero and Poppaea Sabina, Nero's second wife, who died during infancy in AD 63. Suetonius claims that Poppaea was expecting another child in AD 65, when she was kicked to death by the emperor (Life of Nero, 35.3). Both Cassius Dio and Tacitus support the claim that Nero killed his wife, though the bias of all three historians against Nero casts doubt over the reliability of their accounts.

The Second:

Poppaea may have died of natural causes perhaps related to childbirth, a theory supported by the bestowal of divine honours upon her after her death, and that state funeral that she was afforded. This coin proclaims the divine honours bestowed on both women and is part of the only issue struck in the name of Claudia. Nero honored Claudia and her mother with the title of Augusta. Gold statues were placed in temples and circus games were held in Claudia's honor. Nero mourned theirs deaths and Claudia was declared a goddess. A shrine and a priest were dedicated to her shortly afterward.

I find the second more believable based on Nero's actions post death. I further read he had a very long mourning process.

This is the only coin issued in the name of Claudia.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I lean towards the second story as well. The press of the day was biased against Nero.

ominus1 and britannia40 like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful example of that coin, @britannia40 ! I have a much less attractive example (which I should re-photograph sometime):

Claudia Neronis and Diva Poppaea.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

nice coin...i'm with @TIF on Nero's story..i've just been watching Mary Beard and another fella talk about Nero and the propaganda of the various critics of emperors.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, I like it!

Mu Poppaea

[​IMG]
    Poppaea (63 - 65 A.D.)
    Billon tetradrachm
    O: NEPΩ KΛAY KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP AY, radiate head right.
    R.ΠOΠΠAIA ΣEBAΣTH, draped bust of Poppaea right, date LI right (year 10).
    Alexandria mint 63 - 64 A.D.
    12.5g
    25mm
    Milne 216, Curtis 132, RPC I 5275, Geissen 157

Ex HJB

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice Poppaea @britannia40 ... cool that coin identifies Claudia!

RI Poppea-Nero BI tetradrachm of Alexandria LI yr10 63-64 CE Milne 217 RPC 5275.jpg
    RI Poppea-Nero BI tetradrachm of Alexandria LI yr10 63-64 CE Milne 217 RPC 5275

Hmmm... concerning which account about Poppy, I say WWVD?
    (What Would VINDEX Do?) :D

RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62-RARE.JPG
    RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62-RARE

Draft saved Draft deleted