Historic Pricing - U.S. Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 24, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I wanted a thread to discuss anything about price trends or specific pricing things you find interesting going back years or decades.

Here's mine: I have noticed reading Burdette's Saint-Gaudens book that the 1976-2015 price charts for each coin often show a big 50-100% jump in price for coins in 1985 and 1986 for the MS65 level.

I'm wondering if this price surge, dwarfing any bullion increase anywhere near the old 1979-80 highs, was dealers and others front-running the creation of PCGS and NGC (I presume it was known they'd be coming) which would presumably generate more demand for gem quality coins.

Any vets out there who can tell me why common and semi-rares would move so much in those 2 years ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's fairly simple really and I've explained it numerous times in past posts, it's because '86 was a, check that, the pivotal year for two reasons. The primary reason was because that's when the ANA completely changed the grading system, they went from technical grading to market grading. And they also added a lot of grading numbers that had never been used before.

In '77 when the 1st ANA grading system was published there were only 3 MS grades - MS60, MS65, and MS70. Then, in 1980 they changed things a bit and added MS63 and MS67 - but they still used the technical grading system. Then, in 1986 they completely changed things. They created the market grading system which used a new set of grading criteria that had never been used before. And because of the new system, literally overnight coins that had previously been graded as MS65 were now graded as MS63. All by itself this caused a huge upset in the pricing structure and values of coins of a given grade. Coins that had previously been graded as MS65 lost a good bit of their value. And coins that were now graded MS65 gained a good bit of value because they had previously been graded as 67s.

But that wasn't all they did, they also added all the intermediate grades that had never been used before MS61, 62, 64, 66, 68, and 69, as well as all the previously unused circulated grades. This also contributed to a different pricing structure and changed values for just about everything.

The bottom line in all this is that during the specific time you're talking about - '85 and '86 - what was a 65 in '85 was no longer a 65 in '86. But the price record charts don't tell you anything about that - they just show the numbers. But once it's explained it all makes sense.

It had nothing to do with people knowing PCGS was coming, but you're right they did know they were coming. But in '86 when PCGS did come along nobody had any idea that NGC was coming, because some of the same people that founded PCGS didn't like what PCGS was doing when they refused to follow the new ANA grading standards (they thought they were too strict) in that 1st year after they opened their doors for business; so they left PCGS and started NGC up in '87.

4. GoldFinger1969

Got it....and confirmed by the Price Grid in the book, which has only MS60 and MS65 in the 1970's and then adds MS60, 63, and 65 right at 1985.

Yup, thanks Doug. I'll show a screen grab pic of the Price Grid in a separate post.

I saw that because the new row of MS63 prices usually shows a DROP from the dual-prices listed of the pre-1985 years....I thought it was showing a shift to high-quality but as you say it was the market adjusting to the fact that 63's weren't 63's.

Well, without any easily accessible internet or Excel price lists it was tough enough to guestimate pricing for various graded coins -- and then to not know which grade they really deserved ? Sheesh !! :D

Understand it perfectly. You explained it well before but until you actually keep seeing this price blip in the grids, it isn't totally clear (well, it wasn't to me :D).

See the 1915-S Price Grid below.

Very interesting. You vets are a wealth of information, thanks for sharing !

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  5. GoldFinger1969

Here's the Price Grid for the 1915-S. Note the HUGE jump in the price for an MS65 in 1985-86. Also note only 2 prices given 1976-1984 and then 3 prices after that as Doug notes:

1976-2015 SG 1915-S Pricing.jpg

capthank likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

And as you can see above....the MS63 and MS60 coins often fell or were totally flat during those 2 years.

A few Proof and super-rare Saints which were already pricey (4- and 5-figures) and wouldn't see increased demand from the TPGs....were unaffected.

You can learn alot from looking at the price guides (I know the numbers aren't perfect but they're better than anything else I've seen ANYWHERE).

7. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Look up a token / so called dollar logged as H-61-340. It lists buy prices from Farran Zerbe in 1904. I’ll post info and pic’s in a separate thread. Keep in mind the 09-S VDB, 1913 V nickel and ‘16-D Merc all weren’t even produced yet.

8. GoldFinger1969

What happened that was unusual or interesting regarding the pricing ?

9. GoldFinger1969

I thought I understood this a week ago, but now I think I'm confused.

The price grid is showing a big increas for 1985-86....if the new "market grading" system shows the prices for a 65 increasing on the price grid because it's REALLY an MS67, wouldn't that show a TOUGHER grading standard ?

The price jump for an MS65 is really showing a jump as MS67's get counted as MS65's. The old 65's are now 63's and their prices are flat or down.

Right ?

10. GDJMSP

The new grading system adopted in '86 was tougher, more strict, than the system that was in use in '85. In '86 all MS coins were downgraded by 2 points, across the board. BUT, you also have to remember that there were grades added in '86 that didn't even exist in '85 ! Same kind of thing happened with the circ grades, coins were downgraded and grades were added. These two things - downgrades and added grades - are what throws the price table your using askew because none of that is accounted for in the price table.

To really see what happened with prices you would have to have to have two different price tables, one that ended in say mid '86 and one that ended at the end of '86. In other words you'd need 1 price table for the old grading standard and a second price table for the new grading standard. But even then you really wouldn't be able to compare the two price tables to each other because they were both based on different things, and the 2nd table would encompass more grades than the 1st table did.

When I said this -

What I was trying to tell you is that's why the price table you're looking at doesn't make sense ! An it can't make sense, won't ever make sense, because it's trying to account for 2 completely different things in 1 table.

The thing that does make sense, is that once you know and understand what happened, then you understand why the price table does not make sense !

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

That said, parts of the price table will make sense. The price changes from '76 to '85 are valid. The price changes from '87 to '15 are valid. But you cannot compare these two groups of prices to each other because each is pricing different things !

Now do ya understand ?

12. GoldFinger1969

Doug, I think so. But you just typed: "...the new grading system adopted in '86 was tougher......"

I thought what you've been drilling into newbies and semi-newbies like me is that the grading system got LIBERALIZED.....market grading replacing technical grading, right ?

I understand what you are saying about apples-to-apples comparisons, but you just said the NEW grading system is TOUGHER. The "New 65" is really an Old 67.

Yeah, I get that the price grid trends for pre-1985 and post-1987 are valid. But when you had that switch....again....if they are going from technical to market grading, why are you typing TOUGHER above and why is the price jump because the New 65 is really an Old 67 ?

That's what has me confused.

Sorry if I'm just dense, I'm really lost here. I'll re-read your post again or maybe a few times, I must be brain-freezing or something. :mad:

13. GoldFinger1969

Wait a second...maybe the switch of market for technical grading timeframe is your 2004 reference ?

Things tightened in 1985-86 and LOOSENED in 2004 -- is that it ?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  14. GDJMSP

No, absolutely not ! And I've been saying the same thing all along.

Go back to the very first post I made in this thread -

Now if coins that were 65s under the old grading system, suddenly became 63s under the new grading system - and it wasn't just those graded 65 that got downgraded it was all previously graded coins that got downgraded, I merely used 65 as an example - then how in the world could the new grading system be considered as being more liberal, more lenient ? Rather obviously it couldn't.

But I think I understand why you're confused. I think it's because, like a whole lot of other people, you don't understand what market grading really is. And, you "think", again like a whole lot of other people, that market grading is more liberal, more lenient, than technical grading.

But that is not the case at all, the exact opposite is true ! Back when the market grading system was first created it was tougher, more strict than the pre-existing technical grading system was. Which is why all the coins got downgraded literally overnight when the market grading system was adopted in '86 !

No, from '77 through mid '86 technical grading is what was used.

Things didn't tighten in '85 and '86, things tightened in '86 and '87. But you got the right idea. And yes, 2004 is when the TPGs loosened the market grading standards they had been using since '86-'87.

But 2004 wasn't the only time the TPGs loosened their grading standards, they loosened them even more after that, and then loosened them even more than the 2nd time after that ! Today, TPG grading standards are but a pale shadow of what they were from '86-'87 through 2003.

Think of it like this with 10 being high (tough) and 1 being low (loose). From '86-'87 TPG grading standards were a 10. In 2004 they dropped to an 8.5, after that to 7.5, and after that to 6.5, maybe even a 6.

15. GoldFinger1969

Gotcha.......and give me a number for pre-1987, the early-1980's or 1970's. 9 ?

16. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

Do you think they needed to do it in order to get a better population distribution? (saints)
    In other words, picking the best 66's and pulling them up to 67.
    Also separating the better 65's and making them new the new 66.

17. GDJMSP

I only used the numbers (8.5 etc) for purposes of illustration, to get across the idea I was trying to express in other words. And I can't give you a number for pre-'87 because it would be comparing apples to oranges. You simply cannot compare the two grading systems to each other because they are completely different things. When the market grading system was invented they took all the grading criteria that had been being used by technical grading, and then added several more grading criteria that had never been used before. In effect they doubled the number of individual grading criteria.

The history of coin grading goes like this. It was in the late 1890s that collectors first started discussing coin grading seriously. But it took until 1948 when Sheldon wrote his work on grading large cents, but his work was for large cents only ! It could not be used on any other coins ! Then, it was not until 1958 that Brown and Dunn came along and wrote the very first book on coin grading, and that system was for all coins.

Then in the early 1970s ANACS came along and that's when technical grading first began being developed. That was actually done by another forum member, Insider. Then, in 1977 the ANA published their first book of coin grading standards, which was also technical grading. But it was different than the standards that had been being used by the early ANACS. The ANA continued to use technical grading until 1986 when they created the market grading system, their book containing the grading criteria for that system was published the following year in 1987. Since then there have been several more editions of the ANA book published, but the specific grading criteria for each coin has stayed the same in all editions since 1987 - with 2 minor exceptions in the 6th edition published in 2005. Those exceptions to 2 coins and only 2 coins, Indian Head Cents ans Buffalo Nickels, and only in 1 grade for each of those 2 coins. All other grading criteria for individual grades, even for those 2 coins, stayed exactly the same as they always been. Then in 2013 the ANA published their 7th edition, but every grading criteria in that edition stayed the same as those in the 2005 edition.

Along the way, PCGS published the first edition of their grading book in 1997. They published the 2nd edition of their book in 2004. But the grading criteria used in each one, such as they are, are NOT the same. Their standards were loosened in the 2004 book. That said, PCGS no longer even follows the grading standards in their own 2004 book ! The standards they use today are much looser than what they were then ! And if you read the book and look at the coins they grade today it's patently obvious that is the case.

And it must also be noted that the TPGs have never used the ANA grading standards. Every TPG has always used their own, unique, set of grading standards. And of all the TPGs, PCGS is the only one that has ever published any grading standards at all.

Of all the different grading standards that have ever been used none of them can be compared to each other because they are all different.

18. GDJMSP

Goldfinger - if I may make a suggestion. Get yourself copies of the Brown and Dunn book, all editions of the ANA books, and both editions of the PCGS books - then sit down and read and study them, compare them all to each other.

Your eyes will be opened in a way that they have never been opened before ;)

19. GoldFinger1969

Beat you to it, I think you recommended them to me a few years ago. I don't have the PCGS books, but have the others.

Also have the ANA Grading Standards book.

Let me finish Burdette's Saints book first......:D

20. GoldFinger1969

It's interesting that Sheldon's scale was for large cents. If that was the case, I would think it would be useful for other large coins, like Saints.

Clearly, it's alot easier for a big coin to get marks and dings that are visible than a small dime or gold coin that is 1/5th the size.

21. GDJMSP

My point is that ya need all of the ANA books to get the full benefit, 1st edition through 7th edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted