Historic interest

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clonecommanderavgvsvs, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

I have had this tiny Anglo Saxon styca for about a year now, I have always loved the Viking/Anglo Saxon England period and this coin is a gem in my collection as dull as it looks 92A4CCEC-478C-424C-A140-7C6A96A2C8AF.jpeg CB69A726-772A-4349-93F9-E8065C52D1CD.jpeg
    Because if it I’ve been learning old English and reading Beowulf in its mother language. Post coins that have sparked interest in a part of history for you. Wes þú hál!

bonus if you speak the language of the time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I share an interest in these dark ages! Below is my subcollection of Anglo-Saxons:
    Aethelred II.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Æthelred II (966-1016)
    Denomination: Penny, minted: England, Winchester, Moneyer: Ælfsige; 978-1017
    Obv: +AEDELRAED REX ANGL. Head of Aethelred II, draped, to the left.
    Rev: +AELFSIGE MO PINT. Voided Long cross without inner circle.
    Weight: 1.74g; Ø:19mm
    Catalogue: Spink 1151
    Provenance: Ex private collection; acq.: 05-2019

Plumed bird II.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Annonymous
    Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series E, Primary ('Ashton Rowant') phase, plumed bird var. J (Type 6)), minted: Probably Dorestad, Frisia (the Netherlands); 695/700-710/5
    Obv: Plumed bird’ right; cross pommée to right and below
    Rev: Standard with central pellet-in-annulet, four bars, and two trefoils; crosses at sides, dots around
    Catalogue: Abramson 87.30; OdV&K 297-8; SCBI 63 (BM), 303-6; North 49; SCBC 789
    Provenance: Ex private collection; acq.: 11-2019

Plumed bird.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Annonymous
    Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series E, Primary ('Ashton Rowant') phase, plumed bird var. L (Type 6).), minted: Possibly Dorestad (The Netherlands); 695/700-710/5 AD
    Obv: “Plumed bird” right; pellet-in-annulet below beak
    Rev: Standard; pellet-in-annulet at center and in corners, separated by either double- or triple-pellet groups; lines in margin
    Catalogue: Continental series E, Primary ('Ashton Rowant') phase, plumed bird var. L (Type 6). Abramson 87.10; SCBI 63 (BM), 312–7; North 49; SCBC 791
    Provenance: Found in province of Zeeland (the Netherlands) 2018. Ex private collection 11-2019; acq.: 11-2019

Porcupine II.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Anonymous
    Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series E, sub-variety K), minted: The Netherlands to Eastern Germany; 720-740 AD
    Obv: Porcupine type with four legs
    Rev: Beaded square with cross above and to the left. Central annulet with dot inside. Four beaded lines around in 'swatsika pattern'.
    Weight: 0.79g; Ø:1.3mm
    Provenance: Ex private collection (10-2019); acq.: 10-2019

Porcupine.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Annonymous
    Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series E, sub-variety D), minted: Possibly Dorestad (The Netherlands); 720-740 AD
    Obv: Purcipine type, "V" near head, small cross at the left
    Rev: Square, with central annulet. Two "T" at each side, / \ below, with two pellets in between.
    Provenance: Ex private collection (10-2019); acq.: 10-2019

Runetype I.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Annonymous
    Denomination: AR sceatta (series D, type 8), minted: Frisia or Domburg; 695-715 AD
    Obv: Central cross with garbled runic legend around
    Rev: Standard with central annulet,
    Provenance: Ex Jan van Bergen; acq.: 11-2019

Runetype II.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXONS, Annonymous
    Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series D, type 2c, sub-variety 3c), minted: Possibly England; 695-715 AD
    Obv: Abstract head
    Rev: Central cross with four pellets around, below annulet, above cross patté, runic letters around.
    Provenance: Ex private collection (09-2019); acq.: 09-2019

4. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Very nice my friend, I need to get a sceatta one day

Roerbakmix likes this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice new acquisition and good luck with learning Old English! Medieval philology is a wonderful field.

Much of my medieval German collection, including the coins below, is somewhat connected to my rather large fascination for Old and Middle High German literature and language.

MA – Deutschland etc., Sachsenpfennig, Dannenberg 1338.png
    Under the early Salian emperors, anonymous regional moneyer, "Saxon penny", ca. 1025–1060 AD, struck in the Saale region close to Naumburg. Obv: legend of strokes and I-X-?-V (CRVX–type), cross with pellets and ringlets in quadrants. Rev: egend of strokes and C-V-X-?(CRVX–type), cross of wedges. 16mm, 1.17g. Ref: Dannenberg 1338 var (1337 on plate due to printing error).

MA – Deutschland etc., Magdeburg, Moritzpfennig, 1603ff .png
    Archbishopric of Magdeburg, bracteate penny, ca. ca. 1270–1280. Obv: St. Maurice, wearing armour, standing facing, holding lance and lance flag; ringlets r. and l.. Rev: negative design (bracteate). 20mm, 0.73g. Ref: Berger 1603–1605; Slg. Bonhoff 719.

6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Having a lot of family in Britain, I imbued early British history (hence my pseudonym!), and having learned English but also Latin at school, I think I'm well poised for starting to collect early British coins. But somehow it never took off really. I have a few sceattas and one or two British Celtic coins, but drifted off to the Eastern provinces of the Roman Empire.
    Here's a thread, started by our member @Nap , where you can find some more fine sceattas and information.

And here are some of my sceats (three of the five):

Three sceats a ct.jpg

Three sceats b ct.jpg

7. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Very nice sir, I’ve been told old English and Dutch are very close

Pellinore likes this.
  8. Orielensis

Yes, they are – if you want to do more reading on this subject, I can strongly recommend this book. It's very reabable yet thorough, and it certainly changed my perspective on the family connections between the early medieval Germanic languages:
    3654918.jpg

Pellinore likes this.
  9. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Ic þancie þē, mīn godes freond.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. Orielensis

Mín blíðnes!

Draft saved Draft deleted