Historic Find

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SteveInTampa, Nov 2, 2011.

1. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Sold today for $1,080.00

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Four bidders and some mighty snipes!

4. SteveInTampa

Finally had my note graded. I was hoping for a 65EPQ and was surprised with a 66EPQ....bonus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Sweet! I like that you went with PMG, I prefer them too. I find it kinda funny that they put "test" as a designation when you mentioned earlier on this thread that it wasn't a test note. Not saying that takes anything away from the note. That is one superb collectible Steve. Thanks for sharing.

6. Dollarsavr

Dollarsavr Question everything...

From a collector since 1963, seeing is believeing... Now I believe too. Great note and Thanks for sharing.

7. SteveInTampa

I received an email from a nice lady that worked for Carpenter Paper Company (Omaha Nebraska) back in the 80's. She was the marketing director and held a design contest with Omaha Art Studios on Gilbert Paper. Gilbert sent their private jet and flew the winner and her to Menasha Wisconsin where they wined and dined them. When they were leaving, Gilbert gave them both an envelope and a one dollar bill printed on Gilbert Paper and a huge basket of cheese.

She had read some of the research I have been doing on the subject, and now the items are mine.

[​IMG]

8. gsalexan

From the G-G block -- how appropriate! :)

9. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

This is really neat @SteveInTampa can your research be found publicly?

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

This is really interesting. I bought a stack of uncirculated 1963 notes a few years ago. Never knew about the so called test notes. When I make the trip back home over the holiday, you can bet that Ill be checking serial numbers.

11. SteveInTampa

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  12. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

Quite a jump in value, from $11.50 in 2002, to $1080 in 2015. The note, with the accompanying brochure, is most certainly a modern rarity. I have had similar things pass through my hands, and treated them as a curiosity. Now, I wonder what I may have missed...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  13. SteveInTampa

gsalexan likes this.
  14. gsalexan

Wanna hazard a guess at the final hammer price? :smuggrin:

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That is a great find Steve! Totally out of the ordinary.

16. SteveInTampa

I called another collector with similar interests to let him know about the auction. He’s a bidder, one of eleven, and he guessed about 2K. He also said he wouldn’t be surprised if it went to 4K.

Where else you gonna find a small-sized FRN printed on paper NOT manufactured by Crane and Company ?

gsalexan likes this.
  17. James Shields

James Shields Active Member

Fascinating.

I know this is an older thread, but is there any additional information or research known concerning notes printed on Gilbert security paper ?

Draft saved Draft deleted