Historic Find

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SteveInTampa, Nov 2, 2011.

1. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I wish I too could afford historical moments like this... Such a nice piece of history! God bless America!

Endeavor and Earl Clark like this.
  4. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

That is very very cool Steve! Thank you for posting this.

5. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Had to go to Collector's Guide to Modern Federal Reserve Notes Series 1963 - 2009 by Robert Azpiazu on page 1 You find C60800001A to C61440000A And the value is "Gilbert unknown. But I read about it somewhere else. Great find.

Earl Clark likes this.
  6. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Sweet! Congrats!

7. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Nice find Steve, most stellar. Did you acquire this online, or through pure luck?

8. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Do you have any idea how long I've been looking for a Gilbert Test Paper note?!!

I'm happy to finally see one. Once again, Steve, I'm very envious.

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

10. SteveInTampa

I've been searching for a "Gilbert" note for over 4 years. A member displayed this note in a thread on a different currency forum asking for value. I researched the Heritage archives, and only once has a Gilbert note come up for auction. http://currency.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=32031&lotIdNo=1122 Some collectors refer to it as a test note, but technically it was not test paper. The Gilbert Paper Company submitted similar paper in the amount of 20,000 sheets for 640,000 notes, but was unable to supply the BEP as an alternative supplier because of their higher prices. There wasn't much fanfare while this was happening, so I'm guessing not to many collectors at the time knew to look for these. They were distributed like any other currency at the time, lived their life cycle, and eventually disappeared.

George McClellan likes this.
  11. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

The history behind this is truly fascinating and thanks so much for sharing, as well as the Heritage link. Only auction for this was back in 2002.

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I enjoyed it. :)

Great thread Steve.........

14. SteveInTampa

If you recieve Paper Money magazine, there is an article I wrote with photos about this note and pamphlet in the May/June edition.

George McClellan likes this.
  15. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

I recieved my copy of Paper Money Magazine and the article that was written was quite interesting.It's a shame I can't find any of those dollars. Thanks for the article its a great magazine.

16. SteveInTampa

A fellow SPMC collector contacted me Monday about the article, and sent me some photos of a memento given out to the employees of the Gilbert Paper Company.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and the note that came with the memento

[​IMG]

sorry about the quality of the scans.

NOS likes this.
  17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Contest?

Double Congrats!

18. SteveInTampa

A fellow Coin Talk member, Numbers, sent me a BEP notecard that notates the printing of the initial $1 Federal Reserve notes (Philadelphia District) on Gilbert paper. I've also received handwritten records from the Gilbert Paper Company office staff showing which serial numbers went to Gilbert Company officials.

[​IMG]

19. SteveInTampa

20. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Excellent, Steve, just super! Haven't seen one; have asked about them and only one dealer recently told me he had one several years ago but had not seen any for a while. And the eBay auction is WAY beyond my budget!
    :):)

21. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Harry Brown and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted