Highway Robbery (literally!)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Mar 2, 2015.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just saw this on the local news:

$4M in gold reported stolen during robbery along I-95

A semi carrying silver and gold had mechanical problems, and while it was sitting on the side of the interstate, a van with three armed men stopped by. Gee, I wonder how long that van had been cruising the interstate hoping to find a broken-down truck carrying PMs?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It sounds like an inside job to me.

Chris

joey0053 and spirityoda like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And someone else just stole a trailer with a NASCAR car in it. Recovered the car but not the trailer. Don't know who's car it was tho.

5. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

What are the chances that they would know that a vehicle carrying PMs would be on the interstate, and had broken down, in order to rob it. They had to have some inside information. Just my point of view

Brett_in_Sacto and tommyc03 like this.
  6. -jeffB

It looks like investigators share your point of view.

DETECTIVES SUSPECT INSIDE JOB IN NORTH CAROLINA GOLD HEIST

First reports said the truck pulled over because of "mechanical problems"; warrants indicate that a "passenger" (?) asked the driver to pull over because he felt sick.

This is looking more and more like "robbers who aren't nearly as smart as they think they are".

Oh, and the latest report also says that they left $5 million worth of silver behind in the trailer. It would be hard to make off with that in a van. I'm sure they were disappointed that they couldn't figure out how to start the truck. I wonder where these criminal masterminds expected to hide the semi...

ace71499 likes this.
  7. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I wanna know how the expected to sell $5 million worth of gold unnoticed.

8. -jeffB

Wonder if it'll turn up at the Raleigh coin show this weekend? :hilarious:

vlaha, Kasia, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They used a semi to transport 220 (in another report 275) pounds of gold? that doesn't make much sense.

I also find it interesting they say they said they took three barrels of gold. 275 pounds would be a cube about 7.5 inches square. it would be interesting to know what form the gold was in. Gold chloride solution?

10. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

This sounds like a case for DETECTO!

11. -jeffB

Again, the latest report said that they left $5 million in silver behind in the trailer. I work that out to about 10 tons.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well that make the semi make more sense.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If not knowing how to start a semi makes one a moron, you can count me in. Of course I haven't tried to hijack one lately, but that's beside the point....

imrich, Kasia and green18 like this.
  14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Definitely inside job. If you can't drive a semi, this doesn't make you a moron. But planning this out and not being able to drive one seems moronic. In any case, they did make off with all the gold. I'd guess they're off to mexico, where it'd be easier to liquidate the stuff.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Reminds me of a hazy recollection when the robbers hijacked a vehicle with 'standard' shift. No one knew how to drive 'standard'.....

16. -jeffB

Only if you're planning to steal one. :)

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Or the prison escapee that stole a car and when he got to the gas station couldn't pump the gas ... had no idea how to use it, as pumping gas had changed during the time he was in prison.

green18 likes this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot, I thought pumping gas remained the same through all ages...... devil.gif

Kasia likes this.
  19. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

20. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

21. -jeffB

More details in this morning's report:

http://www.wral.com/suspicion-surrounds-i-95-gold-heist-as-investigation-continues/14490335/

Sounds like there was a language barrier for the initial questioning. The story now is that the guards smelled fuel and were sickened by it, so they stopped the truck and stepped out to investigate... without their weapons.

Lots of folks in the comment section are still pounding on the "small box of gold in a great big semi" point; so far, this station isn't reporting the bit about the trailer also containing tons of silver. This morning's story also says that they didn't take all the gold that was in the trailer.

Draft saved Draft deleted