High yellow/gold 2004 Lincoln cent..

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coin Queen, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Coin Queen

Coin Queen ~MINT STATE OF MIND~

I've seen some off color pennies but not like this..
    School me o wise coin masters for this grasshopper knows nothing on this subject..:cool:
    IMG_20190921_143122~2.jpg IMG_20190921_143122~2.jpg IMG_20190921_143501~2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Copper can tone any number of different colors depending on it's environment, nothing unusual.

4. Coin Queen

I didn't think so. It weighed the usual 2.5
    My pics are crap but it's a nice coin. Do people collect the colored or toned coins? A friend told me to save the 'rainbow' pennies but I don't see to much about them.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well.... Toned coins are a very cliquish thing. Some folks are crazy about them. To others it is just a side note. There was a fellow on EBay not long ago that was subjecting innocent cents to a common plumbers torch. They were all manner of rainbow colors. I couldn’t tell you if he sold any..... Thing is, there is no wrong way to collect coins. Whatever puts a smile on your face is Ok. And if rainbow colored cents make you smile, then by all means... Collect them! As far as value goes, that is entirely subjective.

Coin Queen likes this.
  6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so, do they?...oh, yes they do!...It's what started the "artificial" toning epidemic & industry. :smug::yack::(:joyful:;)

7. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Do not worry about what other people collect. Collect what you like and you will enjoy the hobby much more. If you try to look for everything your friends tell ya too it will drive you crazy looking for all of it.

If you are interested in errors. Pick a couple types that really peak your interest. Study what to look for in those types of errors. Once you get really good at spotting them, then you can learn other types over time. Eventually you will get good at looking for several different things at one time.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Rainbow toning only means one thing to me.. Dried urine toning :yack:

I'm not joking.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie and Coin Queen like this.
  9. Coin Queen

That is hilarious..I get to tell my friend she can have all the rainbow/pee coins! Don't eat the yellow snow... Well don't collect rainbow coins lmao

Randy Abercrombie and paddyman98 like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There are no limits to the colors that copper can tone. Probably thousands of things that can cause it, including how the coin was stored. Images, just for fun.
    I need to start smelling copper before I touch it.:D
    toned_indian_desktop.jpg toned_indians_desktop.jpg

Coin Queen and roygpa like this.
  11. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Here are 3 books/booklets that cover chemicals and what happens to assorted alloys used in coins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They all have sections on chemicals and their reactions on coins, and artificial toning of coins.
    It is really patination of the metal, having done metal working, silver/copper smithing for more years than I care to count. There are books and a whole host if tube vid's on the subject. Some of the processes can be dangerous due to the chemicals invoked, but there are enough that used household cleaners and food stuffs. That you can p-lay with to your hearts content. Heat patina's also are easy to do. and only require some heat source and a watchful eye as to timing. The color changes do denote the temperature the metal is at and that is why it is repeatable.

In the coin hobby the use of the word toning is used by the practitioners to give it an upgrade over the more common patina word which has a more widespread use and more people know the meaning of the word.
    Since I do not collect coins and only tokens and medals, the attitude about cleaning tokens other than CWT's is not hard and fast. Tokens are made from the same alloys as coins so the same procedures and processes are used.

Coin Queen and PlanoSteve like this.
  12. Exaviordude

Exaviordude New Member

I'm new here and trying to find out about my gold 2004 penny no idea how to do this

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hi @Exaviordude ..... First off, these old threads tend to be ignored by most folks. You will get much better attention if you started a new thread with a photo attached.... Secondly, it's a pretty safe bet that you have a plated cent. Coins are plated quite frequently to adorn curio items and even are the product of high school science lab experiments... Either way though, without a photo it is just a guess.... Welcome to CT and the greatest hobby in the world.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Follow Randy’s advice and post in a new thread with photos. It’s either been plated or it has toned to that color. Copper tones many colors.
    Welcome to CT.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Coin toning ./ Toning removal chemicals can be EXTREMELY dangerous. This is an interesting example from the old days Cyanides were commonly used on Silver.

"August 1921 issue of The Numismatist:

"J. Sanford Saltus, an international figure in the numismatic
    world, died suddenly at the Hotel Metropole, in London, on
    June 24. Apparently in the best of health up to the time his
    body was found in his room, the manner of his death was for
    a time a mystery until an official investigation revealed that it
    was due to accidental poisoning.... A verdict of 'death by
    misadventure' was rendered by the coroner's jury. The
    evidence at the inquest disclosed that on the day before his
    death he had purchased a small quantity of potassium cyanide
    for the purpose of cleaning some recent purchases of silver
    coins and retired to his room. Shortly afterward he ordered