High School Chemistry. With coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nathan401, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My oldest daughter brought this home today from school. They dropped these Zincolns in an acid that completely dissolved the zinc, while leaving the very thin layer of copper unaffected. Pretty cool. 2925.jpeg 2924.jpeg

charlietig, Jwt708, gronnh20 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice nails Nate......... devil.gif

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The reaction also releases hydrogen gas which the teacher probably explained.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Haha. They belong to the daughter in question.

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

At least when they show up in the Error Coin section we will know what happened.

What else did they drop in the acid?

7. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, ha!!! You beat me to the punch. I wonder if there is something strange going on here we should know about. Then again, maybe not.

8. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Cool experiment. I did not know children still do that in school. Then again, I have no children, so I would not know.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not to be pedantic, but the acid (probably hydrochloric HCl) dissolved the zinc core and left the copper plating. In order to get to the zinc, you have to scrape or file away the copper plating either in one place, or all the way around the coin.

Nathan401 likes this.
  10. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Cool experiment, I might try that sometime. Today I had some crusty pennies that I put in apple cider vinegar. First 2 pics are before pics and 3 &4 are after. crusty1.JPG crusty2.JPG crusty3.JPG crusty4.JPG First 2 pics are before pics and 3 &4 are after.

11. Kentucky

Gold pennies!!! High school experiment.

gold penny.JPG

charlietig likes this.
  12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

After the hydrochloric acid eats the zinc, why doesn't it leave an empty "shell"? It looks like the two sides (copper) of the coin fused together?

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It does, but it is as thin as aluminum foil and easy to push down with the thumb or a small dowel.

14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

So the acid didnt break down the plating? Cool. Didnt know zinc was weaker like that, but ive seen old ww1 and 2 zinc coinage and it tends to seem very brittle or almost powdery when corroded.

15. Kentucky

Actually zinc isn't necessarily "weak", it just reacts with acids to give hydrogen gas and a "salt" of zinc. With hydrochloric acid it would be zinc chloride and hydrogen gas. To get two neat plates like this, I would normally file the coin all around the edge. The copper doesn't react as fast with the acid.

joecoincollect likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It also depends on what acid you use. There are other acids that will strip away the copper and leave the zinc relatively unharmed. I believe Nitric acid will attack the copper much faster than the zinc.

joecoincollect and Kentucky like this.
  17. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Upon looking at a reduction potential table, it seems that copper could react with nitric acid and perchloric acid. Under standard conditions, copper won't oxidize (and thus dissolve) itself to reduce H+ ions from an acid into hydrogen gas. The nitrate ion in nitric acid and the perchlorate ion in perchloric acid can react in ways that theoretically could be enough to oxidize and dissolve copper.

[Disclaimer: this doesn't come from any personal experience other than reading a reduction potential table, so I'd happily defer to any chemist's experiences with the subject]

Really cool experiment!

18. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical.

Zinc is more reactive than copper. So, I'd expect anything that reacts with copper should MORE aggressively react with zinc.

19. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I'm a retired high school chem teacher. And I did the same demonstration every year.

But first, I'd have the students practice use a beam balance. (I imagine nowadays they use electronic balances.)

I'd give them a bag of 7 U.S. cents. They'd weigh 1 cent, then record the measurement. Then do the same for 2 cents, then 3, etc.

Then they'd calculate the average weight of a cent for each of the 7 measurements.

Smart-a$$ lazy students wouldn't bother. They'd weigh one cent, then calculate a result for 2, 3, 4, etc.

The laziest students would simply copy the results from another group.

Surprisingly, year after year, almost no students knew that pre-1982 cents are heavier than the newer copper-coated zinc cents (3.11 gm vs 2.50 gm).

And of course I'd put a different mix of cents in each bag. Results would vary depending on the dates and the order they were weighed. It was easy for me to see which students did all the measurements (and which students didn't).

The main purpose of the lab was to emphasize recording observed measurements. And I enjoyed teaching a little numismatics too.

20. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

awesome lesson! Thanks for sharing.

21. Kentucky

Copper + nitric acid...DON'T DO IT!

joecoincollect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted