High pressure coin sales!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Speedy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Howdy Guys,
    Yesterday I answered the phone and it was one of these coin companies who talks so fast you almost can't understand them....wanting to use their high pressure sales talk to talk you out of money.
    Well the other day my dad had taken the call and was just nice to them so I decided to play along with the guy and see what he said....

First off he wanted to know if I liked Gold or Silver and at told him at this time neither because I was short on funds....he then asked if I had ever seen an OLD proof Washington Quarters becasue they had rolls......I said yes and asked what the dates were.....1960-1963......at the LOW price of $325/roll....these were priced at leasts $100 lower JUST for me! And in the past 2 years these things have just been going up! Well then he said that these were a really good deal becasue they would send me a DOUBLE roll....with (get this) 40 coins!!!!! So I stoped him and told him that quarters always came 40 in a roll....he didn't like that and said something about years ago people didn't have much money so they would buy a roll of 40 coins and cut it in half and make the rolls 20 each and so that makes a roll 20 coins.

So then he said that he was going to send me the roll for me to look at and I told him NO....he asked when I might be intereseted and I told him not for a LONNNNGGGG time...he then had one more question...."Mr S. Do you have any GOLD?"....I said Nope....and he hung up on me.......

I sure hope he calls again---I would like to hear about the RARE nickels dated 1938 with Jefferson on the front!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. grizz

grizz numismatist

please please speedy, what's the number?!

grizz

4. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

That's why I rarely answer my phone but that would have been fun.

It must be SO frustrating for them to stumble upon someone that actually knows things like 40 quarters come in a roll.

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'd love to tear them up a time or two

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I have the number around here somewhere--its a 1-800 number :D :D :D

Speedy

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I just like the siren in the phone for those people. One thing you could do is say "This sounds interesting. Please hold on for a minute, there is someone at the door." Then just let the phone sit there.

8. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

Great story Speedy! It's said to think that many will get taken in high pressure calls like these. Collectors should always warn their family members about these sorts of sales tatics.

9. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I like your idea Carl. I'd either do that or just laugh and hang up on them.

10. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

String them along for a while let them hype it way up and then tell the caller that you have some Rolls that you would be willing to sell him at way less than that. See how quick they get off the phone. It has happened to me

11. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I've heard that one before, so dang funny!

13. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

LOL way to put the guy in his place speedy! :D

14. Ryan625

Ryan625 Senior Member

Sales people call every day, it's always from Citi credit card asking for my brother, he closed his account thing from there. One day i should just go along with them. I've never had anyone call about coins though. Although i have talked in Spanish, what little i know and the guy hung up on me. :)

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Speedy:
    He was a real jerk.
    Especially at 32.5 X face.

16. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

17. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

too funny ~ that guy was likely thinking 'oh shoot... an informed coin collector consumer...' but was too stupid to go 'hey, the guy is obviously a collector... I may have a 'whale' here to turn into a high volume buyer... he just kept treating pushing ahead w/his third rate techniques. wrong guy for the job. he'll likely find a new career soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted