High grade cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

Coins_Banknote 023.jpg Coins_Banknote 025.jpg
    What grade do you think this is? If you need pictures from a different angle, I will be glad to take them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll guess 67 from the image.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can go with that too.

5. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Does it take just a nice grade to make a penny from 2004 worth more? Or are you just practicing grading conis? I have ones that look just like that from 1968 and the '60s and way older years like that. I have ones that were supposivly "never touched by human hand" (wich I don't even think is possible...) that were built in very small little bottle things which the only way to get them out is to break the bottles.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Every year and mint mark is a different story. The grade of the coin is what sets the value based on that year and mint mark. We are just guessing at the grade from an image and could be very wrong because of not actually looking at the coin in person. Lincolns require a bit of study on each coin to figure the value. It's lots of fun.

7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

If the picture is really representative it might go 68.

The plating problem would lead me to be a seller though since I doubt the zincolns will prove stable with plating issues.

8. Lincoln Cents

I am practicing grading coins, I thought this one was MS68. Most of the marks in the field that Lincoln is facing are dust or something, but they aren't on the coin.

9. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

I will grade it very good looking coin as MS66-68. Sometimes it is feel to go back on the old grade as Fine, Very Fine, Good, Very good, uncirculated , etc. But today's market now is looking for slab by TPG which is now famous on their grade as MS 70 which is High Value Dollar just only one point difference is so much money differences sometime 100 K gap but it it is really hard to distinguished or learn between the two coins of almost the same look and Images. MS 69 or MS 70...

10. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Okay now it all makes sense. I was going to say dang I find nice pennies like that all the time, if I sold every one a came across for $1, I'd be a millionaire :D. No such luck though lol. Ahhh but one of these days I WILL find something like that I just know it :D.

11. Lincoln Cents

Yeah, I find cents that look slightly worse than this all the time, I only pull them out if I have a hard time seeing contact marks. (Actually, if the coin is a nice grade for the date, like a 1967 MS64 I found recently, I will pull it out of circulation.)

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Probably 66-67, there's an obverse bubble that is slightly distracting.

Draft saved Draft deleted