High Grade 1937P Buffalo Nickel, Possible Double Die Rev??

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Klipse, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Klipse

Klipse New Member

recently came across this buffalo nickel! I have a hard time determining grades High grade coins. I think the back lettering might also be a ddl die around the base of "AMERICA". I'd appreciate any insight into grade or value you all have. Thanks! DSCN2402.jpg DSCN2413.jpg DSCN2415.jpg DSCN2421.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

AU-50, $9.00 MD on the rev. BTW: Are they all the same coin? I see a nice hit on the buffalo's shoulder in the last pic. I don't see it in the 3rd pic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not seeing it, yes a nice nickel I know there are no ddr on any 37 P and the two ddo known this isn't it.
    I'm seeing md at the base of America .

Markus1959 likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Maybe from a worn die. Lots of metal flow lines around the rim in that area.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A bit too much wear to be MS. AU for sure. Are all the photos of the same coin? there's a lot of difference between the 2nd and 3rd on the reverse.

7. Klipse

Klipse New Member

Yes it is the same coin. I was just trying to catch the light from as many ways as I could.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

You can see the obvious mark on the shoulder in the last picture as well as the other 2 reverse pics

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I wish I could see a close up of America . It looks like MD but also could be where the hub shifted south to cause a doubled die . Too bad I can't see the pic well enough . Though it's most likely MD . JMHO .

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That coin appears to grade 62-63, from your pictures. There are a lot of marks, and the luster appears very weak (if at all).

The coin was also struck from a late die state. Look how "bloated" all of the details are - this is a classic late die state nickel. What you see around the base of the letters is known as "die deterioration doubling," and is from the wear on the dies.

TJ1952 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted