Hi, Im new to this-so plz bare w/ me. Im posting some pocket change, I think r errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by c11jones, Mar 26, 2015.

1. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

IMG_20150324_230450.jpg I think these coins have clad layers missing? Are they worth anything (I IMG_20150324_230450.jpg have done some research, but not sure. Thank You

Attached Files:

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bryant M

Bryant M Active Member

Look like metal detector finds

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Unfortunately, none of these coins look like they are missing the clad layer. The colors of these coins looks like the toning one would expect to see from circulation. Coins missing the clad layer should have a copper color in uncirculated condition, moving to red/brown and finally brown patina from circulation.

Here is a half dollar in uncirculated condition that is missing the clad layer. Maybe some of the others can post photos of circulated coins missing the clad layer.

Chris

MBP7K072848.JPG

5. I would have to agree with Chris on this one.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Environmental damage

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Metal detecting finds, poorly cleaned too. I found a couple hundred just like that in my first year metal detecting. Banks hated me when I cashed in dirty clad like that.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk,

We don't bite, well nip maybe but not bite:angelic:

Sorry you still can't retire not missing clad

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

Thank u, especially Chris-your descriptions &p photo really help. No, not a metal detector find (@ least not by me.) & I'm not expecting to retire any time soon. Thanx

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Just for context, missing clad layer is a fairly rare error. Odds of finding one in circulation are very very low unless you got it from an uncirculated roll, because they have an unusual look, and people hoard things that look unusual.

12. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

Thank u for the info (I'm always up for learning something new.) So true about unusual things & people hoarding those unusual things.

13. SunriseCoins

SunriseCoins Active Member

Search Kennedy's you will find one. I want to believe,there for I do believe in flying spaceship and little green men with Lincoln Cents but no cents hanging around earth.

14. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Welcome to coin talk I'm sort of new also i started a couple weeks ago these coin just have environmental damage probably have been buried
    Good luck finding new coins
    -SorenCoins

15. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

Thank u, same to u

16. Sidingguy

Sidingguy New Member

[​IMG]
    I have this one that is missing the copper clad...You might find this interesting...I found this on the ground in a parking lot a couple of years ago...

17. Sidingguy

Sidingguy New Member

[​IMG]

Here is the reverse

18. Sidingguy

Sidingguy New Member

[​IMG]

Another view of the reverse

19. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

That one looks like it had the copper plating chemically removed. No one just drops an unplated cent in a parking lot.

20. Sidingguy

Sidingguy New Member

That was my first thought, but I asked a few people who seem to know what chemicals could do such a thing and they all pretty much said that it would have taken much of the zinc as well...the copper plating is completely missing and there are no signs of it anywhere on the coin...not even in the tiny recesses of the coin...it just never had a copper plating...this was also a year that there seems to be several that missed getting the plating done on them...as far as someone dropping it in a parking lot...I can't tell you what the previous owner was thinking, but a lot of people don't even think about coins and I think they would not have given it a second thought about losing a penny or they may not even have noticed that they dropped it...I only picked it up 'cause I thought it looked strange...I've been collecting coins since I was 7 years old, so I always notice coins anywhere I see them...I didn't even know if it was a coin at first...All I knew was that it was round and flat...it could have been a button for all I knew...It was real dirty and looked like it had been there for quite awhile...so I took it home and rinsed it off and what you see is the results...A guy I know from Coneco (not sure how it's spelled) thought it was real too...

21. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Is there any sign of the copper layer on the edge of the coin? Right now I am thinking some type of acidic issue because of that stain. Desert Gem should pipe in on this one.. he is the chemical expert.

Draft saved Draft deleted