Hi All! New here. Looking to verify the accuracy of my eye for a rare coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1Adam12, Dec 19, 2020.

1. 1Adam12

1Adam12 New Member

Wado! (Cherokee word for hello)

***edit - disregard the blurry photo. it's been brought to my attention so let's post something else plz.

Been collecting a while and finally deciding to verify my enthusiasm for collecting coins :). If someone in the community could take a look at a couple of my quarters just to help me verify what I believe to be true with minting errors, I'd appreciate it.

Photo's include quarter (2 pics), a 2014 penny (2), and Fort Moultrie (1)

The quarter looks to me like missing clad layer, a die crack (the V shape across Washington's face).

The penny there's Lincoln's head is under the shield. Which is what's suppose to be there but Lincoln looks to me like it was struck first and then the 2014 backside logo.

And the Fort Moultrie... Is that a some kinda cud-mark on the soldiers hat?

Thanks,
    -1A12

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1Adam12

1Adam12 New Member

I thought I deleted that first Ellis Island. oops!

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Sadly, all I can really tell here is a lot of environmental damage. The first photos are too blurry. Possibly a die chip inside the "C" in "Cent". What you are describing as a crack may just be a deep scratch. Just cant tell with all that whatever it is all over the coin. Rarely have I seen a rim to rim die crack that straight. I suppose it could happen. Maybe soak the coins in acetone to clean them up and then try and post better pics.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @1Adam12 !

I'm sorry, but I can't tell anything from those photos.

6. 1Adam12

1Adam12 New Member

I figured I'd have to format my posting skills but the quality and clarity of the image itself is that bad? G'day to ya...

7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

O'siyo. Do hi tsu? Wado. Donadaghvi.
    Cherokee for Hello, How are you? Thank you and Till we meet again.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The coins are all damaged. There may be a die chip or so but difficult to see. Welcome to CT.

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Okay, we'll talk about something else. What you see as a possible missing clad layer is also environmental damage. @paddyman98 can show you hundreds he has found metal detecting. You will not always receive the answer you thought or hoped for but you will receive an honest answer.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @1Adam12. Does your handle refer to law enforcement? Just curiosity from a former one.
    All I see from your photos is PMD, post mint damage, mostly environmental in nature. Sorry. Keep up the hunt and let us know what you find.
    Bye for now. (English for "Bye for now.")

MIGuy likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@1Adam12
    Hi.. Unfortunately there are thousands of coins in circulation that look weird, strange or different. That does not automatically make them mint errors. There is circulation wear and environmental exposure damage. As stated by tommy here are examples of my Metal Detecting finds with Environmental damaged.
    Clad and Nickels..
    20200321_202533(1).jpg 20190316_113034-1.jpg 20190504_174319-1.jpg 20190519_144911-1.jpg 20201213_144501(1).jpg 20201213_144519(1).jpg

A true Missing clad layer usually occurs on one side of a Clad Coin.. Either side. Here are examples from my collection -
    607580-1(1).jpg 3019836-003.JPG 2593338-001.JPG

We are here to guide you!

- Mr. Ed
    Specializing in collecting Mint Errors since 1985

MIGuy and Robert Ransom like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Are you sure there are more out there? Looks like you found all of them. ;)

ZoidMeister, paddyman98 and MIGuy like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

And, here is the only one I own which I found in an uncirculated Mint bag.
    2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

ZoidMeister and paddyman98 like this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you have a strong enough glass, you can distinguish between a scratch and a die break in this way. If the line is raised, it's a die break. If it goes into the coin, it's a scratch.

Sometimes scratches are so deep that they creat a farrow where the medal has been displaced. If there is a "ditch" in the middle or on the side the raised area, it's a scratch.

Die breaks are almost never perfectly straight. That is another indication.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think you need new eyes.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I have seen planchet that had a defect that would draw a straight line. Not a typical feeder finger gouge, but a scratch. I have found quite a few of these, all exactly the same on many of the 1998 P LMC's I'm working on.

Draft saved Draft deleted