Featured Hey Wait! ...Before You Destroy Carthage...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Some of you may have known about my long standing goal to acquire the great Punic coins of yesteryear. This was no small undertaking, it took months of selling, trading and hunting for just the right example at a palatable price. (It was not a palatable price, but rather quite sickening.) For a bottom feeder this meant climbing up the column to dangerous shark infested waters, but with no risk there is no reward.

Most are familiar with Carthage to some degree. Most are aware that Carthage was among the Roman Republic's most powerful and fierce enemies. Their history, art and literature are nearly non existent, tales of their brutality, greed and deceit are legendary, first recorded by the Greeks and then etched in stone by the Romans. Everyone knows that the history of the world is written by the winners and is often biased.

[​IMG]

Recent and not so recent archaeological evidence suggests that indeed many of the tales of child sacrifice and taboo ritual was widly practiced with in the Domain of Carthage. Many sites through out Africa and Iberia, have been uncovered with what is a called a Tophet. The Tophet was essentially a deep firepit with the likeness of a god or goddess above it, in some cases Tanit or the Titan Uranus, with arms outstretched. It was discussed the book, "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" that often families would sacrifice a child to Tanit, or any number of other deities. Tophets have that have been excavated often produce human infant remains, as well as still birth fetuses and animals. One would have been able to sacrifice animals in lieu of children at a rate of 3-1, or one might be able to purchase a street child, if well to do. Such a horrible and taboo practice was not without it purpose. Most of the sacrifices appear to be still births or children that may have been born sickly or misshapen. Such acts also protected the distribution of wealth by limiting the number of heirs and as a form of population control. By the end of the 3rd Punic War, Carthage was hugely over populated and stories exist of Roman soldiers being able to enter the city by scaling the walls and easily descending on roof tops of houses butted up against the wall.

This coin, a mere electrum stater, according to Jenkins was worth a ration of 10-1 silver to electrum, during the reign of Agothekles. (@TIF post the tet). Making the coin a DEKA-Drachm. The Carthaginians largely borrowed coin designs from their Sicilian rivals, whom at the time produced some of the most beautiful specimens in the world. As far as coins are concerned Carthage was late on the scene, minting the first pieces sometime around BC 450 and ending with its destruction in BC 148. These coins were minted largely to pay mercenaries of various races and ethnicity fighting for control of Sicily and other locations in Magna Graecia.

This coin was minted right at the start of the silver debasement of the Gold Stater (at one time worth a ratio of 20-1, silver to gold, rapidly declining in gold fineness and artistic style, as economic pressures depleted the treasury and the gold had to be stretched farther and farther. The Electrum Staters started out at about 70% fine and over the next century decline to 30% and eventually was replaced by Silver, then Billon and finally all kinds of odd ball bronze denominations.(@TIF - ugh the 15 Shekel please.)

Carthage may have been destroyed their literature burned, the building razed and their people slaughtered, but still we may admire the coins. This coin baring the Head of Tanit, whom the Carthaginians worshiped as the goddess of fertility, was seen by the Greeks and Romans as Kore or Persephone the goddess of the Underworld and Vegetation.

Finally, I may cross my #1 most sought after dream coin off the list. Please post your best coins of Magna Graecia. Here is mine.

Africa, Zeugutana, Carthage
    Anonymous (s. BC 310-290)
    EL Dekadrachm (Stater)
    18.5 mm x 7.27 grams
    Obverse: Wreathed head of Tanit left, eleven pendants on necklace; pellet before neck
    Reverse: Horse standing right; two pellets below exergue line
    Ref:Jenkins & Lewis Group V, 259–79; MAA 10; SNG Copenhagen 975

carthagedekadrachm2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Give yourself a pat on the back Master Noob!! :cool: Now just kick back with some popcorn and enjoy the coin! ;)

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]

WooHOO! Congratulations on this fine score, Noob! It's gorgeous :)

Edited to add the requested tet. I was so excited to see the post that I wrote a congrats before reading your excellent writeup :).

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles (317-289 BCE)
    struck 310-305 BCE
    AR tetradrachm, 17.40 g, 24 mm
    Obv: head of the nymph Arethusa left, wearing grain wreath, earring and necklace; around, three dolphins; under, monogram (NK?)
    Rev: ΣYPAKOΣIΩN, fast chariot charioteer leads to left, holding reins and kentron; above, triskeles; in exergue, monogram
    Ref: Ierardi 12 (O2-R8); SNG Copenhagen 573 var., SNG ANS 637
    The story of its acquisition is here.

Edited again to post the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup :D

[​IMG]
    ZEUGITANA, Carthage
    early 2nd century BCE

AE 15-shekel, 45 mm, 95 gm
    Obv: wreathed head of Tanit left
    Rev: horse standing right, left foreleg up; solar disk with uraei above
    Ref: Alexandropoulos J (2000) Les monnaies de l'Afrique Antique, 103; Müller L (1861) Numismatique de L'Ancienne Afrique, 131; Luynes 3782; Jenkins GK and Lewis RB (1963) Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pl. 28 12

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done Nathan. That is an incredible coin! Looks like an awesome end to a long search and journey!

LOL, you know that is my next target!

I am most of the way through that book also... Great write-up, Good synopsis...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    panzerman, Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I am happy for you, but, man, I AM SO JEALOUS!

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh my, that's a sassy dawg, eh?!!

=> congrats, coin-bro (that's a wee bit above my pay-grade)

... great everything (love the horse)

8. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition!!

9. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Marvelous write up and awesome dekadrachm!!

Ancientnoob, panzerman and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Bravo! Magnificent acquisition, Anoob! I don't know how sickening the price is, but I'm willing to wager it's worth every penny.

11. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

ohhhhhhhhh.......oooooooooooooohhhhh yeah.

[​IMG]

damn...that's an amazing coin AN..., you've joined the big leagues!
    seriously, congratulations on picking that up..wow.

Johndakerftw, Eng, Aidan_() and 3 others like this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

14. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Wow, outstanding Noob. I am nearly speechless.......:D

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hunt
    Awaiting
    Guilt
    Dragging deep, deep, deeeeep at the bottom of the pockets
    Sacrifice
    Explanations
    Guilt again

And then........GOOOOAAAAAALLLLL !

Q

16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

It's a great feeling to cross off a 'dream list' coin! I done so a month or so ago and I'm so glad to see you do so as well. What a terrific coin and wonderful write-up. Congrats!!!

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, NAILED it Cuke!

Ancientnoob, Cucumbor and panzerman like this.
  18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!! Huge congrats Nate!!! It's gorgeous!!:woot::woot: Love your wonderful write-up as well...Hmm, will a 'featured thread' top off that fantastic purchase??? You have my vote.:)

As always, I LOVE TIF's posts!!!

To join in a bit, I'll post my recent purchase of my Mamertinoi bronze:
    Mamertini of messana bronze.JPG Mamertini of messana reverse.JPG

19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great coin! Worth every penny.... definately on my "shopping list".

Its raining here, so I am not at work!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

"And so you finally ask yourself just how big you are
    and take your place in a wiser world of bigger motor cars." Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick

Well Nate.

You have climbed farther up the mountain. View looks good....does it not?

Congrats.

Cucumbor, Carthago and Ancientnoob like this.
  21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Congrats, beautiful coin.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted