Hey guys tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Truth1253, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Is anyone checking over at Pcgs on " Codes " before they post ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Same here, if I had MUCH deeper pockets than I actually do.

baseball21 likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Metal movement is one of the criteria for a code 98, but there is more. A coin can be damaged in many ways. This is the full explanation found on their website, but even that doesn't cover everything.

The numerical code of 98 stands for damage. PCGS defines damages as:

"Any form of metal movement, either intentional or accidental. Damage may include excessive or heavy rim dings and bruises, deliberate surface damage such as graffiti, attempts to remove spots, etc. The severity and extent of the damage affects whether it will get a "No Grade" decision. Whizzing is the use of a high-speed, rotating wheel to buff the surfaces of a coin, which actually moves the metal on the surface and leaves ridges on many of the devices."

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes. There's graffiti in the hair and damage on the neck. Damage covers more than just whizzing and not seeing any unnatural luster there from the small picture on my screen

7. lordmarcovan

I too am having some issues with seeing detail in the pictures. I don't see any graffiti?

8. baseball21

Just above the ear in the hair. There's a vertical rectangle with a line through the middle making two boxes or looks like it anyway from what I can see. Appears to be light though and only visible dead on.

9. lordmarcovan

I could live with that, on a high grade Bust dollar, if the price was right. Would still rather have one 10 points or so lower and problem free, but minor issues or not, that's a lovely coin in the OP.

baseball21 likes this.
  10. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

yep, beautiful coin

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Regardless of the details grade, it's still a lovely early date coin that I'd love to have.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I found the listing. It's up to 2,600 with four days remaining. Someone's going to overpay for it the way that it's going. It's worth noting that the seller has zero feedback.

C-B-D likes this.
  13. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

14. fish4uinmd

15. fish4uinmd

Rick, just saw your post...

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay! I misunderstood your first comment.

Chris

17. VDB

VDB Active Member

Might be dirt, but looks like she may have dings on her chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. baseball21

What'd it end at?

19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Ended after 62 bids... (drumroll)...at...$4,400.00(!)
    (that's in United States Dollars, people).

original_11.png

20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I wouldn't waste much time trying to determine what motivates the "top tier" TPG to place a coin in a "details" slab. I've been "cross-grading" scarce relatively expensive Gold classic U.S. coins between the top two TPG. The results are very interesting. I've even offered some of the errors here at "melt" to see how the experienced might recognize value.

An example is this 1852 Double Eagle that after being removed from a graded slab and submitted to NGC, came back in a details slab, where I offered it here at melt. No Takers/interest! Upon re-submission, it reported is being returned as a ~$5k value straight-graded coin.

This has occurred on numerous occasions, so I'd just suggest, as myself and others have apparently done, buy the coin based on personal intellect/knowledge.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/sc...tication-costs-1350-raw-apmex-cleaned.302502/

JMHO

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I immediately noticed the graffiti in the hair. It's still a nice coin, but not worth $4k to me... and 0 feedback on eBay is a red flag. Too risky.

Draft saved Draft deleted