Hey folks, what's y'all's opinion on this Junk boat dollar? Have the opportunity to purchase for 125

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Snorlax93, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

AU 50/cleaned anacs. fair price? Screenshot_20200603-215408~2.png Screenshot_20200603-232957~2.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Personally I would not buy a cleaned coin. The price is way to high also.

Gilbert likes this.
  4. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

I mean it might be, but the coin itself is hard to find as an authentic sample too.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No way! It's a cleaned coin, just wait until you can get a problem free coin. If you're buying off ebay just be patient, one will come along for a better price! ;)

spirityoda likes this.
  6. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I avoid all slabbed details/cleaned coin. Just wait for a straight graded one

spirityoda likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

There are a bunch these slabbed coins on Ebay now. Ones that are not cleaned with the same year, but you will need to pay between $250-1,000 . Not sure how high you would want to spend on a coin ?

8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Wow I didn't know that there are ways to identify this as a restrike. That said Chinese crown coins are getting quite unaffordable (depends on your budget)

medoraman likes this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, I was surprised to find out that re strikes were ever minted! :D Nice coin but not that one!

10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

At least it's certified? I've been so frustrated with the number of Chinese fakes on Ebay that I've held off on purchasing any silver dollar type coins for my collection.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

We have a hard enough time identifying American fakes. Thank goodness my wife feels the same way. With that being said, we have no interest in foreign coins. Best of luck to you who do.

12. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

Precisely, and as someone else mentioned these coins are not cheap, not anymore anyway. And this being certified and whatnot I feel good I made the purchase to get the real deal of a genuine coin. Whether cleaned a little or not.

13. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

Good to hear your thoughts on it whether it be positive or not. I appreciate others info

14. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

The restrikes have less minted for the 1934 year, the 1949 restrikes has approx 30 million as opposed to the near 100mill. Think they only have restrikes for 34

15. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

I mean considering it looks nice still (atleast to me) I think 125 was alright. Was way more at around 190. This was an obo

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

If you are happy with paying that price fine do it, but if and when you go to sell it you might get half of that in return. Many coin collectors see that it's cleaned on the label and will shy away from it and not buy it. When I buy coins for myself I ask myself will I be happy with this coin down the road ? If thee answer is no... then I will wait and save up for a better graded coin. I will be happier down the road if I save up for a better graded coin. Believe me when I first started collecting coins I would buy anything at any price. 20+ years of collecting coins I think everyone has been burned a coin or 2. I am a firm believer of you learn as you go. In thee end it is your money and your coin collection. Happy collecting.

PaulTudor likes this.
  17. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I am so old, I remember when Chinese junk and "Fat Man" dollars used to sell at melt. They were minted by the millions.

With the economic opening of China, this changed dramatically, obviously. But I still find it hard to believe that the market for these will "correct" some day. They are really, really abundant.

Here is one I got from a local dealer for $18 in Feb. 2010. Not high-grade, cleaned, but they don't come this cheap nowadays.

China - 1933 junk Dollar AZ feb 2010 (0).jpg
    China - 1933 junk Dollar AZ feb 2010 (1).JPG

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted