Herod Agrippa AE Prutah: Kingdom of Judea under Roman rule

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

He was a close friend of Emperor Claudius, and was a witness to the the inner workings and intrigues of the Julio-Claudian dynasty from the time of Tiberius through Claudius.

The Jews said he was kind, compassionate, and a good ruler full of great wisdom. The early Christians, not surprisingly, hated his guts and claimed he was cruel.

After three years' rule he went to a game dressed in silver colored clothes, and some in the crowd called him a God. And down he tumbled in pain, his belly swollen until he popped and died, punished by God for not striking those who called him a God (if you believe that old tale.) Most likely I bet he got a stomach tumor and eventually died from it...such things being untreatable back then.

37953.jpg
    Roman Province of Judea
    Herod Agrippa I
    AE Prutah, 17.91mm, 2.39g
    41-44 CE
    O: Three grain ears
    R: Umbrella-like canopy with fringe
    Hendin 1244

Please comment, and share any coins you deem appropriate.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

That's actually pretty good shape atleast from what I've seen. Nice addition.
    The few prutahs I have haven't met the camera yet.
    Herod is still on my list to get. I have a couple of Porcius Festus and of course a widows mite. More to add shortly.

4. Sallent

I'll bet you @Deacon Ray has a minty fresh one somewhere in his collection.

Interestingly enough, I've just about completed my "Want List" for 2017 only 85 days or so into the new year, plus I've gotten a few I never thought I'd get like the Julius Caesar.

I only have 5 more coins to cross off the list and I'm done shopping for 2017. I guess after that I'll start re-cataloging my collection. I've almost got half in paper envelopes, but I still need to catalog it all after I'm done. That ought to keep me busy the second half of the year.

Plus I'm sure JA will have a few coins in his weekly auction that might tempt me during the second half of 2017 to help keep my appetite wet. I just never thought I'd get through my list so quick.

Deacon Ray and Smojo like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've never set a yearly goal. I may have to try that next year, to late this year.
    Of course JA has tempting stuff every week. You know I have a weak spot for Lydian because my granddaughter, so I snagged up this weeks. Will be fun to research it I'm sure.
    I have a Herod in sight but after seeing yours I'm thinking it may be wise to wait for a better one.

Deacon Ray and gregarious like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Love the detail of the grain ears.

I have nothing to share.

Deacon Ray and gregarious like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Where have I heard that before?
    ;):D

Mikey Zee, Smojo and Sallent like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man, mine is rough...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sallent

Yeah, I was kind of pathetic last year. Remember the dozen or so threads saying "This is my last purchase of the year." It almost became a running joke.

But this year is different. I already have a large collection to keep me busy re-cataloging, re-photographing, etc. Plus once I'm done with my 2017 list, I acknowledge Ill probably get a coin here or there from JA's auctions...so I'm not as naive as I was last year when I made those pronouncements.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Deacon Ray and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Sallent

Look at Ancient Imports. They have a Biblical Coins section. Once you get past the first page and half the second page of coins (mostly widows mite lots), the second half of the second page and the third and 4rth page are full of 1st century Judean coins...many in great shape (and priced accordingly)

Deacon Ray and Smojo like this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Sure :D

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's one of my favorite Judaean coins and yours is very nice!

I have a good one but I'm afraid it's canned.

I have some low grade ones that I purchased in a lot of 300.

AGRIPPA.jpg

cmezner, zumbly, dlhill132 and 19 others like this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Is that the good deacons page

Deacon Ray and Sallent like this.
  14. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

good snag on a Jewish coin Sallent! in the short time i've been active here, you expanded your collection several fold. Herod Agrippa most likely died of fourniers gangrene, that would make anyone hard to get along with before dying from it. according to history, H. Agrippa had his son Antipater killed for rejoicing at the rumors of his death after hearing about it 5 days before he himself expired. i don't have any of this type coin, umbrellas and grain, but that's a nice one!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I like this coin much and have a couple, but neither is as nice as yours. Here is the only one I have an image of:
    [​IMG]
    The Studium Biblicum Franciscanum has an interesting article in Vol. 47 (1997) of their journal, LIBER ANNUUS, wherein the author makes a case for this being struck under Agrippa II and not Agrippa I. A Re-Attribution Of The King Herod Agrippa I Year 6 Issue

cmezner, dlhill132, Puckles and 16 others like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coin @Sallent ! Agreed with others... hard to get decent quality of those little goobers.

I will toss one in:

Judaea Pontius Pilate - Prutah IOYLIA KAICAPOC daughter of Caesar Augustus.JPG
    Judaea Pontius Pilate - Prutah IOYLIA KAICAPOC daughter of Caesar Augustus

cmezner, dlhill132, Puckles and 14 others like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool addition (congrats on that sweetie)

=> here is my humble example ...

Judaea Herod Agrippa AE Prutah b.jpg Judaea Herod Agrippa AE Prutah a.jpg

Sallent => I'm fairly sure that you have your obverse & reverse mixed-up

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    cmezner, dlhill132, Puckles and 13 others like this.
  18. Deacon Ray

Awesome simpulum!

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Sallent—your post has inspired me to read up on Herod Agrippa and learn more about him. He was definitely a complicated and interesting character. Actually a lot of the Ancients Forum members including myself fall into that category! :confused:

Here are some of my bulk lot Herod Agrippa era prutot.
    20170324_080027.jpg

20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super posts!!

Sometimes it pains me to see these posts/threads since it reminds me of all those I was forced to sell at the end of 2011-12 including an entire 'series' of biblical coins:(

Deacon Ray likes this.
  21. Deacon Ray

I'm sorry to hear that, Mikey! I know what it's like when life throws us a curve ball and we need finances. I had a collection of twenty dollar gold pieces twenty years ago given to me by my grandfather and I decided to sell it. Big mistake!

Smojo, Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted