Hero of Greece! In Your Face Romans!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

After another USPS fiasco this specimen was shipped in mid March and took over 30 days to arrive DOMESTIC!!!!

After filing claims, aggravating a seller, getting annoyed with the USPS after declaring the item lost.

I am relieved that the specimen finally showed up. (I plan on making an offering to Hermes and Tyche respectively.)

This is an upgrade to a similar coin I sold to another CT member. The type is like most other Alexander the Great types except it differs in several interesting ways.

From my previous write up on the coin type. (Price 1191 and 1193)

Scholars agree that the bust is that of Mithridates VI of Pontos. These were minted in Odessos, Thrace sometime between 120-70 BC this particular coin was minted around 83/2 BC to finance the 2nd Mithratic war with Rome. These coins are believed to have been meant as payment to Macedonian and Thracian mercenaries. The 2MW ended in the retention of the Pontic Kingdom and the expulsion of the Romans from the Province of Asia. Mithridates VI would ultimately be defeated by Pompey the Great, and would ask for his friend to kill him by sword in order to evade capture and the resulting humiliation of a Roman triumph, concluding the third Mithratic War. He could not kill himself by poison, since he had given himself small doses of poison his whole life to guard against possible assassination.
    For me I could not live without a Greek tetradrachm of one of the last Hellenistic Kings and the most successful to stand up to Roman Imperialism. A very cool and unique uber later Alexander type style coin.

Kingdom of Thrace and Pontus
    Thrace, Odessos
    Mithradates VI Eupator (Megas)
    AR Tetradrachm (s.BC 83/2)
    30 mm x 15.70 grams
    Obv. Head of Mithradates VI as Alexander III as Hercules wearing Lionskin headdress right.
    Rev. Zeus enthroned holding a Scepter and holding an Eagle out stretched. Greek script- BASILEWS / ALEXANDPOY. LAKW in left field. WDH in ex.
    Ref. Price 1193

Mith6tet.jpg

Last Tetradrachm in the name of Alexander.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'll simply reiterate what I said to you in PM about how much I like this coin. Some of us have Pontic issues of Mithridates VI, but this is the first time I've seen someone post a coin with his portrait, and a magnificent portrait at that. The fine detail on the reverse combines with the portrait to make a truly exceptional coin.

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

As JA said, Magnificent! Both sides. Great coin.

5. John Anthony

The closest I come to a portrait is this coin, Mithridates in the guise of Perseus - which (let's be honest) is just Perseus...

Amisos, Pontos, time of Mithridates VI.
    AE 18mm; 4.6g, circa 120-63 BC.
    Obv.: Bust of Mithridates as Perseus right, wing at his temple.
    Rev.: Cornucopiae between two pilei (caps of the Dioskuri) each surmounted by a star; AMI-ΣOY.
    Reference: SNG Stockholm 1848; SNG Cop. 161; BMC 65; Waddington 32.

pontos.jpg

6. Ancientnoob

Yes!! Post up those Pontic coins!!!

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin and good to see it arrive finally.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. John Anthony

I wasn't at all happy with the old image of the coin I just posted, so I took it out and re-shot it. I'm still not happy, but that has more to do with the coin than the pic. I'm much more discriminating these days. If I'm looking for a nice example of a common type coin, I don't settle for this sort of eroded patina anymore.

pontos perseus.jpg

9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Super coin Masternoob, love the doubling on the reverse, Wow a true winner!!!:)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. Bing

Better image JA

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]

what a shame if that coin would have been lost...it's fantastic. a big sweel ol' piece of greek silver.

this was one of my first greek coins. i need to reshoot about half of my coins, that is an improvement JA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. John Anthony

This coin of Pontos, however, pleases me.

pontos.jpg

13. Bing

AMISOS, PONTOS.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE 20
    OBVERSE: Head of youthful Dionysos right, wreathed with ivy
    REVERSE: Thyrsos leaning against cista mystica draped with panther skin; AMISOU below
    Struck at Amisos 85-65 BC
    8.8g, 21mm
    SNG BM Black Sea 1199-1200; HGC 7, 243
    AMISOS, PONTOS 3.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE 21
    OBVERSE: Gorgonian head facing on shield
    REVERSE: AMI-SOU to left and right of Nike advancing right, holding palm over shoulder; ME monogram to left, VTE monogram to right
    Struck at Amisos 80 BC
    7.6g, 21mm
    SNG BMC 1190
    AMISOS, PONTOS 2.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    Æ17
    OBVERSE: Head of Dionysos with ivy-wreath right
    REVERSE: AM-ISOS, Thyrsos; monogram to right
    Struck at Amisos 85-65 BC
    4.0g, 17mm
    SNG BM 1192-1195

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> man, this "stuff" never gets old!!

pontosa.jpg pontosb.jpg Pontos Amisos Mithradates VI.jpg Pontos Amisos Mithradates VI Eagle.jpg Pontos Amisos Mithradates VI Pegasus.jpg Pontos amisos number two.jpg Pontos Amisos Version three.jpg
    Pontos Amisos again.jpg pontosg.jpg pontosh.jpg

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Excellent upgrade!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

very nice indeed, all is said above.

270 P Pontos.JPG

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, TIF and 6 others like this.
  18. Ancientnoob

By far the superior image. Well done.

John Anthony likes this.
  19. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Wow Anoob! Beautiful portrait of Mithridates. I like the reverse too.

Glad it finally turned up. I've had good luck with the USPS lately....makes me worry my time is coming...:confused:

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Beautiful posts guys!!! Steve, do you have every coin there is?? LOL

As JA mentioned Anoob, I haven't seen a Mithridates with his portrait imaged on a coin as Alexander before either....but I keep being reminded, with all the member posts, that there's a seemingly infinite number of examples I haven't seen before.

Great posts and fantastic coins guys!!!

stevex6, Okidoki and Ancientnoob like this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I guess this qualifies for the theme/thread---my sole 'Pontic" issue:

lf (12).jpg lf (13).jpg

dlhill132, stevex6, Okidoki and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted