Heritage Win Today- Fugio

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kazuma78, Apr 24, 2020.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I've always liked the fugio copper and saw this one at Heritage and liked the look of it, even though it has a planchet clip. The clip doesnt bother me, and even adds a little character and I thought the strike and color was good. Let me know your thoughts whether you like it or hate it! It's an NGC MS64 probably from the bank of New York hoard.
    20200424_165456.jpg lf.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Color is good, and if its a 64 then it is very probably from the Bank of New York.

I personally would have passed on this one because of the clip, however. If I'm buying an error coin, then that's great - I bought it because of the error. If I'm buying a Fugio, I'd want it to be as good as I could get. I wouldn't want something like a clip detracting from the Fugio.

That's my personal opinion, however, and other than the clip this appears to be an absolutely fantastic Fugio.

4. kazuma78

I'm sure that's why it was more reasonable than it would have been without the clip. The clip doesnt bother me and the coin is likely to be in my collection for a very long time so I'm pretty happy with it.

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Superb example! I have one with the same rev but not nearly as high grade.

kazuma78 likes this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Great coin. I picked up one world coin today. We'll see what I rack up over the next few.

kazuma78 likes this.
  7. kazuma78

What did you get? They had some great stuff today. Some nice ancients too.

8. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What a beauty!

Randy Abercrombie and kazuma78 like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

How could anyone be unhappy with that coin?

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Publius2, PlanoSteve, Seba79 and 4 others like this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow.

Although, @messydesk , that coin doesn't look like it did much circulating ;)

messydesk and kazuma78 like this.
  12. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Phenomenal example. I had this one and lot of other Fugios in my tracked auctions, just wasn't willing to cough up that much right now. You got a great price.

kazuma78 likes this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A Fugio in that condition is a treasure. Congratulations!

Randy Abercrombie and kazuma78 like this.
  14. kazuma78

Thanks! I thought the price was pretty good also and I was suprised I got it where I did. I thought for sure I was going to get outbid because my max was only slightly higher than the hammer price. I've had 3 great purchases this year but probably wont get anything else for awhile while I rebuild my coin fund.

tmoneyeagles likes this.
  15. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Great Fugio! Not only is it a strong strike with eye-appealing color, the clip and clash marks give it distinctive character. While I like a pristine coin as well as the next guy, I appreciate pieces like this that have something of a story to tell.

PlanoSteve and kazuma78 like this.
  16. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

I love the Fugio!

kazuma78 likes this.
  17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Anytime I see hints of original luster on an 18th century copper.... That is a big win in my book. Very nice Fugio.

kazuma78 likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

As I stated elsewhere, fantastic buy!

kazuma78 likes this.
  19. kazuma78

Thanks!

20. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I love the Fugio!!! The red gives it some serious mojo. The clip would bother me much less than the other types of planchet issues than a lot of those have. I feel lucky to own a lowly G4 example.

kazuma78 likes this.
  21. kazuma78

I agree, lots of the other examples I've seen have bad planchet streaking or other issues.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted