Heritage: Make me an offer

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimefreak, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

As most of you probably know, while scouring the archives of on Heritage some of the coins have a "make offer to owner" icon. I was just wondering if anybody on this site has successfully purchased a coin via "make offer to owner"? Has anybody else made an offer and got shot down or no response?

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I made an offer once . I seem to remember the coin was priced at coinvalues prices and I offered just a bit below numismedia fmv, and seller countered with $1 off listed price.

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I've bought a few pieces of currency that way. I think as long as you offer a realistic and fair price many will deal with you.

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

the coin I offered on sold for $1600 a year ago, I offered $3000. Thats why I was stumped and wondered if that was just a ploy of some kind. Im glad to see that it has been helpful to others. Thanks for the reply

6. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Nice to know the sellers have the ability to counter! thanks for that!

7. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I have only twice, and both offers were refused. The initial asking price was roughly two hundred more than the FMV .

8. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I'm not sure what kind of ploy it might be other than just another way for Heritage to make a commission. They do a great job of looking out for themselves.

Did the buyer in your case respond at all? I think a lot of buyers (i.e., owners) just ignore the Make Offer option.

9. yarm

yarm Junior Member

One of the items I purchased at a Heritage auction is listed as "make offer to owner". As I have had no correspondence with Heritage re the piece, it appears that Heritage acted unilaterally.

Of course, I could have sold this item years ago so even if someone makes an offer (to the owner listed in Heritage's records), it might never reach the current owner.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, that's fairly common for Heritage and Teletrade but some collectors say it's worth it as you get what you pay for and once you buy you can easily use the information for resale as well. Different strokes.

11. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Yes, they make a commission. What's wrong with that ?

12. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

Did I say there was anything wrong with it? If you reread my post, I'm the one (indirectly) asking Dimefreak what kind of ploy he might be suspicious of. I guess I could have left off the snide "looking out for themselves."

13. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Exactly the answer I was looking for. I figured the guy must not own the coin anymore. A lot of the coins I have offered on are from over a year ago. thanks for the response

14. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I was curious as to which coin was valued at $1600 only a year ago that the seller turned down a $3,000 offer ? That seems a dramatic increase, given that FMV have not risen that much.

15. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

17. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

I think perhaps that some sellers have a reverse idea of what "make offer" means. They are hoping that somebody has "the fever" for their coin and will pay more than FMV just to have it in their collection.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Shot down? Absolutely.

Draft saved Draft deleted