Heritage Long Beach Auction Day 1

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Prices spun out of control from my perspective. Seems to me we have a wave of investors buying up the high end pieces as an alternative investment. Not a good sign for this economy if people are fleeing to coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Have any examples of prices spinning out of control in this auction??? Not sure what you mean.

From the coins I've watched it seems to me that prices are still way down and there may be some bargains to be had if you're ready, willing and able to put the cash in. That said, I didn't place any bids in the Long Beach auction, just nothing that special caught my eye. The Goldberg auctions earlier this week just took so much attention away from the Heritage Long Beach auction that I'd expect a lot of decent coins may slip through the cracks.

4. (v)

(v) Senior Member

Did Goldberg have any non-US lots? If yes then I missed those. All the ones I am interested in Long Beach are already over my maximum, and the ones I don't want don't have any bids. :) I agree the high-end stuff is bringing moon money and the average and below nothing.

5. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Fly me to the moon
    Let me sing among those stars
    Let me see what spring is like
    On jupiter and mars
    ..........:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I guess I'll see later on tonight when my targeted lots come :computer:

6. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

High end Talers prices bumped by 30% of where I could get them a year ago. To me this is a bump in a slow economy. Maybe its because these are higher end pieces.

7. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

I did not notice any outrageous prices. Seems kind of odd to say they are all being bought up by investors. Why can't they be collector's?

8. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Look at the Taler prices.

9. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Sorry, didn't realize above that this was a post in the World coin forum... I post to the wrong forum about once a week or so by automatically assuming that the recent post links will take me to a U.S. Coin post ;)

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

As the dollar slowly sinks to the bottom. Traci :eek:

11. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

I am taking every excess $ I earn and putting it into coins. They seem to be inflation proof, having barter potential if needed down the road. More importantly they seem to be government proof as long as we are not forced to deposit them anywhere. Sad but true.

12. silvereagle82

Now I know why the Taler pricing is rising :hatch:

13. silvereagle82

Based upon the high prices from this afternoon's session ....... I'm in trouble on my targeted lots bids ..........:desk::desk::desk::desk:

14. regandon

regandon Senior Member

The higher end Talers are jumping in price very fast. It's going to be interesting to see how much high end Talers will be going for in January at the NYC show.

15. silvereagle82

Well I'm a ofer ...... 0 won out of 3 bids.
    :headbang::headbang:

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I only watched a couple of Shooting Thalers in the Heritage auction, but quite a few pieces of paper money and it hasn't performed well, in fact quite a bit of it hammered under the estimates, reserves not met etc. I did manage to pick up some very rare ABNCo printed notes from Canada and Mexico for the beauties on banknotes collection though.

17. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

From a couple of other forum members, I learned that day 2 was as inflated as the first, prices exceeding expectation. I guess its the stronger Euro as well as more buyers for high end world coins.

18. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

I very surprisngly won 2 lots from the goldberg sale :)

Draft saved Draft deleted