Here's what PVC damage looks like: PCGS rattler Mercury Dime MS66

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Mar 15, 2020.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I thought this could be educational. PVC was often deposited on coins from old, plastic holders or flips. When PVC is present, both the holder and the coin can feel slightly tacky or sticky to the touch, and it leaves a light green film behind. That film often becomes more pronounced with time. I'm guessing that the film was not visible with the naked eye when PCGS graded this coin, but over time, it etched itself into the surfaces and became more pronounced. Anyway, take a gander, and remember the look. I purchased this one for $50 and have to return it. Before I do, however, I wanted to photograph it and share it. I welcome and appreciate your comments.
    IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2824.JPG IMG_2825.JPG IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2827.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s too bad. It’s too bad that cool old PCGS holder will have to be sacrificed to help the dime.

ripple and C-B-D like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

And it may be beyond salvation! Acetone will remove active PVC, but I suspect this one is so far gone, the damage is permanently done.

ripple, Paddy54 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Good teaching tool John PVC is coin cancer.

6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow thinks it still looks kinda nice.

Stevearino and ripple like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice example. When the PVC is still a light green, there is a chance the coin will clean up. Once it turns dark, the damage has been done.

ripple, Omegaraptor and C-B-D like this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thank for posting your coin. I have seen coins in that condition before, but did not know the cause of it.

ripple and C-B-D like this.
  9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This is why every raw coin I buy gets an acetone bath, no matter how pristine it may look. You never know for sure what may be lurking there.

Spark1951, ripple, atcarroll and 3 others like this.
  10. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Not certain if this is the same damage, but I just bought this 1812 for the Classic Head slot in my album.

F68D2AB5-BF77-4A03-90F9-2927BC7E7699.jpeg

I broke it out and noticed the spot on the bottom of the reverse while I was photographing. I would think NGC would have put corrosion on there if it was present upon grading.

3A68876B-1EB9-4D1D-ADA6-783987E28BB0.jpeg
    Anyway, after a few minutes of VerdiCare:
    F0CF9F9A-64CB-41CF-93B1-0958B1E5958E.jpeg

ripple likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Another good example.
    Image_0538.jpg Image_0541.jpg

Stevearino and ripple like this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That merc is a shame. I’m a big fan of acetone too. I’ve bought coins covered in green slime that ended up beautiful. I know you have too @C-B-D i remember that score you made in the flying eagle cents and Indian heads with the 09-s in them

ripple, Randy Abercrombie and C-B-D like this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Were the PVC plastic flips commonplace early on in the developments of plastics?

ripple likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Very. And album pages and slides. They’re still common actually and used for short term storage

ripple and UncleScroge like this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

So grandpa likely put his favorite coins in PVC flips before he stuck them in the top of his closet for the past forty years then?

ripple likes this.
  16. Mainebill

If he put them in flips. A lot more common were cardboard 2x2 holders and cardboard Whitman albums or the better wayte Raymond albums. All of which can cause some nice toning

ripple and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  17. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

While searching large cents on line recently to assist me in attribution of Newcomb numbers of coins in my collection, I noticed several several mint state examples which had green, or green with early surface corrosion spots. Copper of course, is much more reactive than silver. One would hope that the TPG did not miss this. This damage more than likely occurred post slabbing.
    This is another reason to not purchase sight unseen slabs...or raw coins for that matter.

18. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

But does the merc merit the FB designation?

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Not quite

20. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

That's green corrosion. The Verdicare may have made it less visible, but it's still there.

ripple likes this.
  21. AcesKings

AcesKings Well-Known Member

My example, before acetone.
    1827-6-O-102-1.jpg 1827-6R-O-102-1.jpg

After......
    1827-6-O-102.jpg 1827-6R-O-102.jpg

ripple likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted