Heres some errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dv8one, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

I just got these back from grading the last pic is not errors just nice ones 1983 cent dot above i in liberty making it look lower case 1976 half dollar clad thin letters, 1996 cent lamination error, 2008 quarter cactus over initials,and my favorite puking george 2005 quarter lamination error
    20171107_190544.jpg 20171107_190511.jpg 20171107_190448.jpg 20171107_190410.jpg 20171107_190140.jpg 20171107_185924.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

That '05 Quarter appears to be laminated with PVC.

4. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Im not sure all i know is they put lamination error

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

dot above i! OMG! that company does not know what a plating blister is! :eek:

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

What is a plating blister and is it a mint error either way it looks cool cause it makes it look like its a lower case i

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

NCGS? How much did this company charge you??? I don't agree with most of these

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

It's nothing NGC or PCGS would attribute as a Mint Error.

9. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

10 bucks a coin

10. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

The dot above i is like a cud i forget what its called when its not on the rim butlime extra blob of die or metal

11. paddyman98

It's called a Die Chip. A CUD involves the Rim. But on your Cent I am not sure. It's a plated Cent and most of the time they are plating bubbles. The use of the word "dot" is not used in Mint Error attribution except on Canadian Mint Errors.

Dv8one likes this.
  12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Here is a learning experience. Find a good grading book with photos, your money will be well spent if you get a good one. Then take each and every one of your slabbed coins and seriously look for marks, dings, etc. Try not to attribute any of those to errors, etc. Make your own scorecard, and on the basis of those and any wear or general lack of luster or luster marks, assign what you would think the coin should grade.
    I won't say your grade would mirror the major tpgs grading, but it might give you an idea that grades should accurately reflect the coin.

I have not taken a close look at any of these you are showing to criticize any one in particular. But my not being familiar with this company.... meaning I would not likely purchase one of their slabbed coins without a very hard look at the coin, there is a very visible red flag I see... That is that there is a 1984D Jefferson Nickel that is graded a MS70. I would be really surprised if there are absolutely no imperfections on that coin that should hold it back from that grade by at least 4 points.... Nickels coming from the mint generally take at least a couple hit marks on them and are super easy to have something mar the surface.

Santinidollar and Oldhoopster like this.
  13. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I think that your $160 could have been spent in a much wiser fashion had you asked here first.

Just my honest opinion; no offense intended.

14. paddyman98

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. Kasia

P. S. Everyone who seriously collects or collects maybe not so seriously, but over a long period of time, will have their learning experiences. Pretty much inevitable. On the bright side, most coin collectors do better at avoiding cumulatively $$$ negative experiences than, say, those whose hobby is buying collectors plates from the Franklin Mint or wherever. And to gain experience, it is difficult to avoid anything you have to chalk up to a learning experience.

16. Kasia

If you take the time to do your own grading on these, then take really good pics of your coins and post here on CT.... and ask members to grade them. Many here are really good at that and it will depend on how good you can get the pics. Many here are extremely helpful to learn.

17. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I can't really make out anything from your photos.

They are too out of focus and not close enough for an old fart like me.

thanks for posting though.

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

"1976 half dollar clad thin letters" ???

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Horrendous photos. And I doubt if any of them are actual errors.

20. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Hopefully your purchase of these
    at an average of $10 each will be
    a learning experience.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

ANACS's mailing address for coins is a PO box also.... So, I'm not quite sure I'm getting your gist. That said... at $12/coin starting price for modern US coins, ANACS would have been a much better option.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted