Here's a tip you might like, if you use slab albums with 9-slot pages.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 20, 2021.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

If you get 9-pocket baseball card (trading card) pages, you can snap one of the pages into your slab album as an overlay for each slab page. The pockets in the trading card pages directly overlay the slab slots in the slab album pages.

I found the trading card pages at an office supply chain store, but they're easily found online.

You can use the trading card page for a title or short info card for each coin. In the back side of each trading card pocket, I keep the invoices for the coins (folded up), and the original flip inserts, if I bought the coin raw (as I do with almost all of my Ancients).

I'm thinking of switching to one full page sheet protector for each coin, so I don't have to fold up the invoices, and I can print out my full writeup on each piece.

But I decided to try this nine-pocket "overlay" method, and it works great.

(The bottom left slot is shown empty because that Hadrian tetradrachm is headed off to NGC soon.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Now that's a great idea, Thanks

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Great post, any recommendations on brand for slab album?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Vess1 and MIGuy like this.
  6. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for your tips, LordM. :)

I also used Lighthouse slab album pages, and have been wondering how to put matching information (purchasing invoices, etc) together.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Very cool! This displays up nicely and is a great way to have everything together.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Very helpful tip. I use trading card pages for baseball cards and other cards but that’s a good idea. :pompous:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

This is very helpful. I've been trying to put the essential purchase information on a handwritten sticker I add to the slab. But of course, there is not much room to place the sticker on the slab. Thus I like your solution to the issue.

lordmarcovan and Mac McDonald like this.
  10. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Yes, I also like these pages, but as to your placing additional sticker info on slabs, just stick a small 2x1.5 "post-it" on the reverse over the TPG label...the TPG is identified on the obverse side, anyway...they fit perfectly on PCGS slabs without covering smaller coins, and only the tops of large coins, or you can under-fold the bottom of the stickers just enough to clear the large coin or the slab edge, depending on how you orient the sticker to the coin. Adhesive doesn't hurt or stick to slab. Should work fine with pages if you're not removing the slabs from slots too much/often. I do the same thing if I can't get all the info on an Avery label.

Robidoux Pass likes this.
  11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Great, efficient and neat organizing tactic. I love it. Not wishing any bad to you or anyone, but it'll also be a very welcome inheritance for your heirs. Talk about time saving for them.

Awesome post Rob.

happy_collector and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

that is a LOT of work

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Actually, I don't like it. If it is stolen, the invoices are stolen with the coins.

14. lordmarcovan

I've got them all online. That, after all, is where I printed them from.

And the coins do not stay in the albums when they're in my safe deposit box. The albums are for display- for show and tell- on the rare occasions when I'm meeting coin friends in person. Or when I'm carrying them to and from the SDB to work on them. Otherwise, they stay in the SDB.

The nice thing about the trading card pages is that I could keep all that stuff in a separate binder for offline reference while the coins are in the SDB.

15. lordmarcovan

You're right about that. :dead:

But hey, 'tis a labor of love, and all that, right? ;)

16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

You can't depend on things online remaining accessable. In fact, you can depend on it not being so. After all EBAY can NEVER go out of business like AT&T or Novell or DEC (or CompuServ (thanks dad))

17. lordmarcovan

True. Nothing is permanent.

*Which is one reason I’ve started printing out and saving that stuff. In the recent past, before I had my own desk and office space, I had a hard time keeping up with stuff like that.

I’m still struggling to get organized.

cplradar likes this.
  18. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I use trading card slots.. They typically are good enough to fit a piece of paper or two, folded. That's where I keep every letter I get from CoinTalk members :)

Also helps me keep provenance in line. You could even alternate, slabs on one page, and documentation in the next page in the trading card slot.

lordmarcovan and happy_collector like this.
  19. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for your additional info, Evan.

lordmarcovan and Evan Saltis like this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

That is a great tip Rob. Thanks for the post.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

For sure

I don't recall his name, but one of the big names in the USENET era has made clear that many file types will not be readable with tech now, and these filetypes will only become more and more obsolete. I think of old video games which will be rendered unrunnable, old documents saved in long gone file formats, and I'm sure there are many more. This is partially why I have transferred all of my grandmothers data off of her Windows 98 computer (I don't know how it still works after so many years)

Already, my computer can’t run a program I made less than a decade ago. It will be like the burning of the great library all over again. Files that we may lose in decades to come may have great consequence.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted