Herennia Etruscilla

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Herennia Etruscilla was the wife of Trajan Decius (who reigned 249-251) and mother of his sons Herennius Etruscus and Hostilian. She in on antoniniani with two different hairstyles.

I recently bought the first coin, with the earlier hairstyle, from CT member @ominus1 :

HerenniaEtruscilla1878.jpg

HER ETRVSCILLA VG
    Diademed, draped, on crescent, with hair plait up the back,
    PVDICITA AVG, Pudiucitia (modesty) standing left with right hand drawing veil and left holding a transverse scepter
    Sear 9494. RIC 58b, but their plated coin has the other hairstyle.

The next coin, acquired long ago in 1992, has her hair in the later hairstyle, horizontal waves:

HerEtFECVNDITASAVG9293.jpg

HER ETRVSCILLA VG
    FECVNDITA AVGG
    Fecundita standing left holding right out over tiny child, cornucopia in left
    Sear 9492. RIC 56.

The second coin has a portrait that is not flattering. I got the first coin because the portrait is in good style.

Show us some coins of Herennia!

galba68, chrsmat71, Bing and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, Warren.

[​IMG]
    Herennia Etruscilla (249 - 253 A.D.)
    Æ Sestertius
    O: HERENNIA ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right.
    R: PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia seated left, hand raised to pull veil from face & holding scepter, SC in ex.
    Rome Mint
    28mm
    16.6g
    RIC IV 136b (Trajan Decius); Hunter 16; Cohen 22.

[​IMG]
    Herennia Etruscilla (249 - 251 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
    O: EPENNIA ETPOYCKIΛΛA CEB, Diademed and draped bust right, resting on a crescent.
    R: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC, Eagle standing right on palm branch, holding wreath in beak.
    11.61g
    25mm
    Prieur: 610

[​IMG]
    Herennia Etruscilla (249 - 253)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG Draped bust right on crescent, hair in straight lines with long plait carried up the back of head, stephane in hair.
    R: PVDICITIA AVG Pudicitia, veiled, seated left, drawing veil with right hand, transverse scepter in left.
    23mm
    4.2g
    RIC IV, Part III, 59b (Trajan Decius)

galba68, chrsmat71, Bing and 10 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by the hairstyles of the Roman empresses and once wrote a piece about Herennia Etruscilla because the early literature was not consistent about which of the two hairstyles was earlier.

Here are a couple you don't often see because they are from the Antioch mint:

Etruscilla Aequitas jpeg.jpg
    Herennia Etruscilla, AD 249-253.
    Roman AR Antoninianus, 4.10 g, 23.3 mm, 5 h.
    Antioch, AD 250-251.
    Obv: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent, hair smooth and with a long plait carried up the back of the head.
    Rev: AEQVITAS AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae
    Refs: RIC 64; RSC 3d; RCV 9491; CRE 540; Hunter p. xcix.

Etruscilla VBERITAS AVG antoninianus Antioch.jpg
    Herennia Etruscilla, AD 249-253.
    Roman AR Antoninianus, 4.18 g, 23.2 mm, 12 h.
    Antioch, AD 250-251.
    Obv: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent, hair with horizontal waves and with a long plait carried up the back of the head; •• below bust.
    Rev: VBERITAS AVG, Uberitas standing left, holding marsupium (?) and cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 68b; RCV 9499.

galba68, chrsmat71, Bing and 9 others like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

it is a good looking coin W, i'm glad you're happy with it :)..it took me awhile to come to terms with selling it, but it's got a fine home. RC educated me that i had a sestertius of Herennia Etruscilla i'd bought under the guise of being Octallia Severa, so i decided to keep that and let the antoninianus go Otacilia sest. new empress coins rocks 002.JPG Otacilia sest. new empress coins rocks 004.JPG

chrsmat71, Bing, David@PCC and 5 others like this.
  6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

galba68 and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted