Herennia Etruscilla As

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I was watching the CNG e-sale close today and noticed this As of Herennia Etruscilla with Pudicitia on the reverse.
    I have a similar as of Herennia which I posted here a while back, so the coin attracted my attention.
    My example is not as well centered, softer in areas and some legends are off the planchet as can be seen plus minor scratches. However, I was still surprised by the closing price (about 20x what I paid for my example just a few years ago).

How scarce are coins of this empress? It is outside my usual area so not that familiar.

The CNG example: Herennia Etruscilla Æ As Pudicitia. (23mm, 9.71 g, 12h). Rome mint.
    RIC 136c. (picture from CNG)

Herennia Etruscilla As CNG 2018 $900.jpg

My Example: same type as above. 9,61 g, 23mm. RIC 136
    Nice deep jade patina.

Herennia Etruscilla as OBV2 N better - 1.jpg Herennia Etruscilla as REV1 N better - 1.jpg

Andres2, ominus1, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

In silver shes very common, her bronzes are fairly scarce. Her AS are rarer then a Sestertius.

[​IMG]
    Herennia Etruscilla (249 - 253 A.D.)
    Æ Sestertius
    O: HERENNIA ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right.
    R: PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia seated left, hand raised to pull veil from face & holding scepter, SC in ex.
    Rome Mint
    28mm
    16.6g
    RIC IV 136b (Trajan Decius); Hunter 16; Cohen 22.

Andres2, randygeki, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Mat. That's got to be the explanation then. A scarce denomination.
    I was happy with the coin before, I am even happier now:).

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin @Eduard - I don't any of this empress yet.

Eduard likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Middle bronze coins of this empress are hard to come by. Here's my humble example, clearly an as because of the copper highlights:

Etruscilla Pudicitia As.jpg

Andres2, ominus1, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..uh, 20 times eh?!..i think her coins are lovely! i have a sesterterius of the type which i'd bought as Octacilia Severa, thanks to RC, i was put right as to who it actually is of.:) it is one of my favorite coins. Otacilia sest. new empress coins rocks 002.JPG Otacilia sest. new empress coins rocks 003.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted