Here We Go! PCGS-Genuine!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pocket Change, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I didn't think that PCGS was going to start doing this until January.

While I will admit that I'm happy to see that the seller at least acknowledges this coin was graded "genuine" likely due to improper cleaning. He also claims that there is no visible signs of the cleaning...it IMHO he fails to provide good enough photos for the buyer to decide that for themselves. I'd like to actually have a good look at the coin before I drop $12K on it...because it clearly is a problem coin. I doubt I would buy an expensive problem coin anyway. I personally don't see any cleaning marks either...but who knows with the pics. My guess is this coin has been over dipped as it appears to have nice details but no luster remaining.

4. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I think it is nice it was slabbed genuine, and at that bargain price, you better grab it quick! ;)

5. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Theres a whole lot of fine print and disclaimers going on there as well;)

6. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

WE DO NOT OFFER REFUNDS ON COINS THAT HAVE BEEN CERTIFIED BY RESPECTABLE GRADING COMPANIES. THESE INCLUDE: PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG & NCS.

This means stay away.

7. CamaroDMD

Anybody that doesn't offer refunds for any of their products means stay away. I wouldn't buy anything from them...slabbed or not. If they don't stand behind their products 100% then I assume there is something wrong with the products.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I suspect that nobody will buy this coin without a return policy & without seeing it in hand. For kicks, I looked up the past 1921-S prices on Heritage auctions. The going price for a "cleaned MS60" might be 11k but I personally don't want it. They also had a cleaned AU Details for 8.6k. You can find EF40s that sold for 4k and nice AUs for 7k to 11k. At the FUN show last year I watched a couple MS examples sell for about 40k each. I was careful to sit very still during that floor bidding.

Very best regards,
    collect89

9. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

$81 shipping? Do these genuine holders come in slabs the size of a Television set?

10. CamaroDMD

Wow, I hadn't noticed that. How much should it cost to ship and insure a $12K coin? $81 seems awful steep to me.

11. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Could be because of insurance.

USPS Insurance rough estimate of $11.45 for the first $1000 and about $10.00 for each additional $1000.

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Registered mail costs about $25 and is the most secure way to send pricey items.

13. ksparrow

Note that the seller claims it is MS61 in the title, although the coin is not graded. This is stretching the ebay rules a bit, imo. Only coins with a numeric grade from one of the anointed TPG's can be listed as such in the title, I believe, although for all I know the rules may be vaguely written and subject to this kind of abuse. I agree that their returns policy is a major red flag.

14. CamaroDMD

I thought the coins had to be graded by PCGS or NGC to have a numeric grade in the title. Do the coins have to be graded that numeric grade?

Nevertheless, this coin has NO luster. So, it won't look MS61 even if it has the details. It looks WAY over dipped to me.

15. ksparrow

I think you are right. I see dark metal on the high spots,=AU in my book. I'm guessing it was very dark and dipped over and over, leaving it spotty and with a strange look to it. Just my guess, though. The numeric grade in the title- solely the seller's opinion, bugs me, though.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I believe the listing is against eBay rules (naming a grade in the title for an ungraded coin) and have reported it.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Didn't PCGS state that they were going to use a special slab for their Genuine service ? I can;t access the news release right now - but that slab does not match what they said they were going to do. Kinda makes me wonder if the slab - and thus the coin - is real.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

No, they aren't going to have a special slab (a mistake, IMO) -- and that one looks like the real McCoy....Mike

19. CamaroDMD

My understanding was they would be using the same slab as well. However, I thought the genuine service wasn't starting until January.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now I'm gonna have to find that news release. Memory says it was a statement by Rob Guth, that they were going to use a green label so there would be no confusion with their regular slabs and the slab would have the corresponding number (body-bag number) on it.

That label looks blue, like their regular slab. There is no number, but it does say ungradeable on the reverse.

21. CamaroDMD

I think they should use something that would really stick out...like a red slab label.

Draft saved Draft deleted