Here my two cents!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike185, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

i 1864 two cent peace. What grade do y’all think this is?? Vg 8??

Attached Files:

alurid, Hoky77 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. VG looks about right.

4. Mike185

I’m trying to learn the grading. So I’ll be posting some coin and what I think is the right grade

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't know what that dark stuff is. Is it old magic marker?
    Acetone should take it off. I think VG-10 is about right.

6. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Can finger nail polish remover be used as it is mostly acetone?

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Trish likes this.
  8. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

No. Do not use nail polish remover. It has additives that will harm your coin. Must be acetone like you find with paint, no additives.

Collector1966 and Trish like this.
  9. coin roll

coin roll Active Member

Finger nail polish remover has other things than acetone that can ruin a coin.

Collector1966 likes this.
  10. Mike185

I was under the impression to never clean your coins. I have some that has a little grim on them and didn’t do anything to them when I put them in a 2x2. Should I clean or not to clean??

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

That’s like using 5 gallons of gasoline that has one gallon of water in it for your car. It’s mostly gasoline, right?

12. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

You are correct as to not cleaning coins. But, an acetone bath is acceptable as it changes nothing about the coin, except removing some crud, especially glue residue. This is what I understand, from reading posts on this site. Do a search on this forum about cleaning with an acetone bath.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Is that like the grim Harry Potter had :) Sorry about that... really cleaning coins CAREFULLY is acceptable, it's just what is carefully that is at question. The use of pure solvents is acceptable with few exceptions. For grime, an acceptable practice would include water, alcohol, acetone and xylene, as long as they are pure and care is taken to not bang the coins around or scratch them.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Very nice and honest two cent. I am rather inclined towards thinking the black swash across the coin May simply be toning.... Certainly could be a marker of some sort though.

15. Mike185

I’ll take a few more pic when I get home

16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice and I will not attempt to clean any coins

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Acetone doesn't really "clean" coins. It is not abrasive to the surface, it may just
    remove certain types of organic crud. Other things it will not remove.
    You can get 100% acetone at Wal Mart or a hardware store. A small bottle is only $3. Rinse coin with distilled water, and air dry or very very lightly pat dry. Never rub. Not even with a paper towel.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  18. Mike185

should I acetone this coin?? Or should I try on a another?? I have 1/2 ton of coppers. What kind of effect should I expect?? Old dirty brown to a shiny red?

19. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

No. Chances are you will not notice a difference at all. Sometimes you get lucky and it will remove the stain.

20. Mike185

I have a lot of xylene (to thin pool epoxy paint). Someone above said its ok. Isn’t it oil base? Is that ok to use in copper/silver. Or should I only use acetone? Shouldn’t soak coin or use a q-tip to swipe it??

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Xylene isn't oil base, but it will dissolve oil real well. As long as it is pure, it should do no damage to your coins, the same for acetone, water or alcohol. The greatest source of damage is wiping, swiping or rubbing on the surface with anything. A q-tip shouldn't scratch the coin, however it can scrub around any grit that is there and that will scratch the coin. Soak and pat dry to avoid scratching.

Collector1966 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted