Here it is - my first Seleucid Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, Nov 5, 2018.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Picked it up at an auction.

Paid a little more than I had planned to (*shakes fist at taxes and fees*), but fairly happy overall.

Seleucus I Nicator Tetradrachm, 295 to 291 BC, Susa mint, 17.1g.

Obv: Head of Hercules, in lion skin headdress

Rev: Zeus seated, with scepter and eagle.

upload_2018-11-6_9-17-2.png

I feel like this will be the first of many ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition

[​IMG]
    Alexander III the Great (336 - 323 B.C.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: Head of Alexander as Hercules right, wearing lion-skin headdress.
    R: AΛEΞAN∆POY, Zeus enthroned left, right leg forward (archaic lifetime style), eagle in extended right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, bow on left.
    Salamis mint, struck 332-323 B.C.
    16.95g
    25mm
    Price 3139 ; SNG Alpha Bank 662; Newell. Salamis 7.

Lifetime Issue

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice Tet @AussieCollector !

Yeah, the HARD part is having the gavel-price stuck in your head, THEN the reality of fees/customs/shipping/credit card,etc piled on. I always try to picture the price +35% when I look at the bids. Helps me not to have too much shell-shock should I win...

My Seleukid I Tet:
    upload_2018-11-5_16-48-34.png
    Seleukid Seleukos I 312-280 BCE AR Tet 14.46g Seleucia on Tigris. Zeus - Athena driving a quadriga of 4 horned elephants SC 130

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. AussieCollector

Nice Tet Mat!

Alegandron, yea I've gotta start doing that. I calculate the exchange in my head, but I've yet to add the 30 to 35% for auctions.

Also, amazing Tetradrachm! I love the ancient coins with animals (be they crabs, owls, elephants, lions, Pegasus' or whatever). I've yet to pick one up.

coinsareus10 and Alegandron like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A very nice coin indeed, but I'm curious why you didn't choose one of the more distinctively Seleucid types for a first tetradrachm.

AussieCollector likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't know AC's answer but my first Seleucid came in an NFA auction 28 years ago. It asked me to bid on it an who was I to say I'm waiting for one with elephants. I never got one with 'distinct' types and never got all that interested in Seleucids. Maybe that is why???
    g92260bb0465.jpg

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

My first:

[​IMG]
    Antiochus VII Euergetes, Seleucid Kingdom, BC 138-129
    AR, tetradrachm, 16.59g, 30mm; 12h; Antioch
    Obv.: Diademed head of Antiochus VII right
    Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EVEPΓETOY; Athena Nikephoros standing left; to outer left, monogram above A; all within wreath.

And second:

[​IMG]
    Seleucid Kingdom, Demetrios I Soter, 162-150 BC
    AR tetradrachm, 16g, 32mm; Antioch mint, 162-155 BC
    Obv.: Diademed head of Demetrios I right within wreath.
    Rev.: Tyche, holding scepter and cornucopia, seated left on throne supported by tritonesses right, monogram to outer left. In two vertical lines, BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΔHMHTPIOY (King Demetrios).

And a debatable third:

[​IMG]
    Philip I Philadelphos, semi-autonomous city issue of Antioch
    AR, tetradrachm, 26mm, 12h; Antioch mint 46/5 BC or later
    Obv.: Diademed head left
    Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΦΙΑΠΠΟV ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟVΣ ΦΙΛΑΔΕΑΦΟV; Zeus Nikephoros seated left holding spear in left hand holding victory presenting laurel wreath in right; AYT monogram to inner left, date in exergue (off flan)

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool tet @AussieCollector ! Mine is from the tail end of the Seleucids instead of the founder.

Qp6o2TqsEbn7eA4n9aHDxS8N3fjYgG_zpscw1k0iag.jpg

SELEUKID KINGS OF SYRIA. Philip I Philadelphos, 95-83 BC. Tetradrachm. Antioch.

O: Diademed head right. R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ ΕΠIΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦIΛΑΔΕΛΦΟΥ. Zeus seated left with Nike and sceptre: Control: monogram. SNG Israel 2799. Condition: Very fine. Weight: 15.7g. Diameter: 26 mm.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

All the coins in this post are very nice; but this one @dougsmit has a wonderful portrait!

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent coin!

12. AussieCollector

Ah, a good question. One that requires a multifaceted answer.

I'm into ancient coins primarily for the history. I love to hold history in my hands, and the longer a coin has theoretically been circulating in the empire/country/kingdom/whatever - the better. To that end, I do like to collect coins from the start of the given state, along with coins from the height/mid, and towards the end.

So, given the above, I would have taken almost any Seleucid Tetradrachm for my first, knowing that I will buy a few. The founder of the Empire is as good as any place to start.

I did... lament....? slightly that my first Seleucid Tetradrachm was not distinctly Seleucid, but at the same time was comforted by the fact that it is a lifetime Tetradrachm of the founder.

Clear as mud?

;)

13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Good coin to start a Seleukid collection, well done Aussie.
    Here's mine: P1210939.JPG

@Alegandron , your quadriga tet needs a better picture !

14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You're lucky. For me, by the time the buyer's commission, currency-exchange fees, shipping and PayPal fees are added in, when I buy something in Euros, the final price in dollars is about 150% of that. For example, that denarius that was a steal at 60 Euros will end up costing me 90 US dollars.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Always interesting to learn the why a particular coin was collected.

17. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on the tet of Seleukos @AussieCollector you got a great coin with the nice Susa bust. Welcome to the Seleucid fan club. I would argue that your coin is distinctly Seleucid as it has the name of Seleukos on the reverse. Besides, those Seleukos/trophy, zeus/quadriga elephants, and horse/elephant tetradrachms can get very expensive.

I recently picked up a tet of Seleukos I from Seleukeia on the Tigris for the control mark on the reverse.
    Seleukos Seleukeia on the Tigris.jpg
    I would also recommend the book Coins of the Seleucid Empire from the Collection of Arthur Houghton by Oliver D. Hoover as a good introductory work on Seleucid coins. It can be found for $60 or so in used condition with a little patience and hunting.
    Houghton Seleucid.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Jwt708, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  18. AussieCollector

Thanks for the likes and sharing your coins guys, great to see so many amazing Seleucid Tetradrachms.

Thanks for the info Red.

I'll have to purchase the book as suggested.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. AussieCollector

So, I received this coin in the mail earlier this week.

It's a lovely coin, and the auction house picture is not misleading.

What is a little baffling however, is the listed weight for this coin. They listed it as 17.1g.

However, my scales say it's 16.78g. Now, I know my scales aren't perfect, but I would say that they're 99% accurate, so if this came in at 16.9g, so be it. But 16.78g is too low for the supposed weight of 17.1g.

Has anyone experienced this before? Where are coin's weight is lower than the stated weight?

What's also surprising is that this coin came from a really well known and respected auction house.

20. AussieCollector

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Have you calibrated your scale? If so, I'd just chalk it up to a minor mistake by the seller (measurement error, typo, etc). If not, perhaps a calibration is in order.

Draft saved Draft deleted