Here comes the new currency series....

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Numbers, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

On Friday the Senate confirmed the nomination of Rosa Rios to be Treasurer of the United States, so she can now be sworn in, likely within a few days. Then with both signers in office, the BEP can move forward with production of printing plates for the new-series currency.

Judging by the past few signature changes, it'll be roughly three months until the Rios-Geithner notes, presumably to be designated Series 2009, start to roll off the presses. Thus we probably won't be seeing them in quantity until around the holidays. Still, progress is good....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Nice, wonder if the economy is gonna make printings low?

4. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Thanks for the update. Do you think the BEP will be making $2 in the next couple of years, or will they wait?

5. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i believe they have stacks upon stacks of the last printing of the $2 note. im note sure they will print any for circulation .. however the BEP is astutley good at creating products to sell to collectors! So its always possible they could create a low printage just to sell with a premium to collectors :D

Thanks for the heads up Numbers!!! If they are released around the holidays, they would have a low printing for the year ... too bad the series is not date/year specific lol

6. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

We know that the Fed didn't order any for fiscal year 2009. We also know that the plan is for the FY2010 order to include just three denominations--the $1, $20, and $100--so that the BEP will be able to devote lots of production time to the new Kodachrome $100's. The Fed has been deliberately building up inventories of the other denominations for the past couple of years to permit this.

Therefore, unless plans change, there won't be any $2's printed before fiscal 2011, which begins in October 2010.

Now, the BEP will presumably continue to turn out $2's for collector products like the uncut sheets, but those will be Series 2003A; it's not worth making new printing plates just to run a few thousand sheets for collectors. (Also, it's very likely that there will be "2010" $2's in the same vein as the "2008" and "2009" $2's: looking at the plate positions of these notes, it appears that the 2008's and 2009's were all printed in the same runs, with enough plate positions left over that the 2010's have probably already been printed in those same runs too.)

7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Numbers;
    Forgive me for being so abrupt but from what you post in so many threads appears to me as information that can only come from someone inside or from someone who knows someone inside.
    Now it seems to me that with this information concerning planning for print runs that you have no doubt inside information, wether it be from knowing someone or being a contractor or even from working within the BEP itself.

Your information is always good, so I am wondering which of the 3 possibilities it is?

If I am not correct in my line thinking, I would really appreciate insight on knowing where to look for such information if I may be so bold to ask.

Regardless of which it is, I think it is neat that you have access to such information as well as sharing it with us and was wondering how you get it? :thumb:

Regards,

RickieB

8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

"Inside"? I wish.... :cool:

The information about the planned 2009 and 2010 printings comes from the Fed's 2009 New Currency Budget. It's rather dense with statistics and jargon, but there's a lot of good information in there if you wade through it all.

The stuff about $2 collector products is speculation (hence the "presumably" and "probably"), but it's based on knowledge of how the BEP's operated in the past. There were collector sheets of 1976 $2's printed into the mid-'90s, and sheets of 1995 $2's printed up to 2003, even long after the signatures on the plates were obsolete. So it doesn't seem that the BEP thinks it's worthwhile to make up a new master plate for collector printings alone.

And about the "2010" $2 idea: If you look at the notes that've been issued already, for each district, serials 20080000 to 20080999 come from plate position A1, 20081000 to 20081999 from position B1, and so on: 1000 notes per position. That means that the ten thousand "2008" notes only used plate positions A1 through B2, leaving us to wonder what was done with the rest of the sheet. The "2009" notes seem to have answered that question: they come from the next ten positions, C2 through D3. So they appear to have been printed back in 2008, in the same print runs that produced the "2008" notes. That still leaves twelve positions of each sheet open, so my guess would be that serials 2010xxxx were printed too. I could be completely wrong here, but it looks like a logical inference to me.

Hope that clears things up. Didn't intend to be mysterious or anything.... :eek:

9. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Thanks for doing the wading through all the jargon and giving us a simpler insight!

10. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Hmmm, so no new $5's and $10's. Hopefully the other New notes will be available in time for Holiday cash orders.

Don't know if it was true, but most banks in my aread indicated that there was only one Holiday Cash Ordering interval last year. Don't know if that was a cutback, due to lack of demand, or if the tellers I spoke to were mistaken.

11. rpwoh

rpwoh Ravens Fan

Does anyone know what the new 100 will look like?

12. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

No, the designs haven't been unveiled yet. Quite a while ago they announced one of the new security features--a hologram on the thread embedded in the paper, that appears to move when the note is tilted--but that's all we know so far. If the past few new designs are any indication, they probably won't reveal the design until after the notes go into production, which they haven't yet.

13. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I would say that once again, Numbers is absolutely correct!

An announcement from the BEP today:
    (First day of sale- December 8, 2009 - 9:00 A.M. ET) --Price $79.50-
    The Bureau of Engraving and Printing proudly presents the 2010 $2 Single Note Collection Subscription Program. Celebrate the year 2010 by participating in BEP’s 2010 $2 Single Note Collection Subscription Program. Limited to 9,000 sets worldwide, this collection features one Series 2003A $2 note from each of the 10 available Federal Reserve Banks (excluding Minneapolis and Kansas City Districts). Each note features a serial number beginning with 2010xxxxD and is protected by a clear, acid-free polymer sleeve in an attractive folder representative of the corresponding Federal Reserve District.
    http://www.moneyfactory.gov/store/section.cfm/511/3274

14. vrt

vrt Junior Member

That has nothing to do with what was discussed here in previous posts. Guys were discussing new series which should be released due to appointment of new officials. Your post is about old Series 2003A $2 note but with special 2010xxxxD serial numbers.

15. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Let's see -- the"previous post" stated, "Now, the BEP will presumably continue to turn out $2's for collector products like the uncut sheets, but those will be Series 2003A; it's not worth making new printing plates just to run a few thousand sheets for collectors. Also, it's very likely that there will be "2010" $2's in the same vein as the "2008" and "2009" $2's: looking at the plate positions of these notes, it appears that the 2008's and 2009's were all printed in the same runs, with enough plate positions left over that the 2010's have probably already been printed in those same runs too". To me, it seems like the announcement of 2003A $2 FRN with the special 2010xxxxD serial number has everything to do with the "previous post".

I remembered Numbers making the statement back in July, and I wanted to update the thread to indicate that he was absolutely correct.

16. vrt

vrt Junior Member

My bad, sorry. I'm not a big fan of these 2008, 2009 etc $2.

17. mdseverin

mdseverin Junior Member

2010 - no new notes

We've had a new Treasurer for over 6 months and a Secretary of the Treasury for over a year. I don't undersatnbd why there isn't a new series yet? Has anyone heard anything? Even though the staff change was made in 2009, does that mean the new series will be 2010?

18. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

WELCOME to the forum!

I believe others with more knowledge than me have posted that it will be series 2009....

19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Welcome to CT!! Iam still waiting for word myself!!

20. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

There is! :cool: The first Series 2009 $20's were printed in December. And they got into circulation *very* quickly, with reports coming in from Long Island before the end of 2009 even.... Of course, it'll take months for them to spread across the whole country. :(

With the Treasurer being sworn in in August, the timing is pretty close to what we'd expect: three months or so to get the new signature engraved and new master plates prepared, and then a transition in which each denomination in turn switches over to the new series, at a rate of one every month or two.

So most likely we'll see one additional denomination of Series 2009 printed in February, with others following over the course of the next half-year or so.

By the way, contrary to what I posted way back up in this thread, the BEP is now planning to print some $5's and $10's in the 2010 fiscal year, in addition to the $1's, $20's, and $100's that had been scheduled. (The $5's were delayed from FY2009, since the BEP ran behind schedule due to delays in installing and shaking down more new presses; the $10's were moved up from FY2011, since the Fed has been finding that the $10's in circulation are wearing out faster than expected.) So we'll likely see all five of these denominations printed as Series 2009 in the relatively near future.

The $50 isn't scheduled to be printed again until FY2011 (begins in October 2010), and the $2 isn't scheduled to come up until at least FY2012 (begins in October 2011). Whether those are Series 2009 will depend on whether the Rios-Geithner signatures are still current by the time they come out: If there's another signature change in the meanwhile, these denominations could skip Series 2009 entirely. But if the signatures are still Rios-Geithner, the notes will still be Series 2009, even if they don't go to press until 2012 or later.

21. mdseverin

mdseverin Junior Member

Was there ever a press release or announcment?

I'm assuming the $1 will be the next denomination printed

Draft saved Draft deleted