Featured Here Comes the Moon

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Dec 26, 2019.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

So Dies Natalis Solis Invicti is already over here, and today in my part of the world, the annular solar eclipse was fully visible, with the maximum annular phase reached at 13:23 hrs.

00-Ring of Fire.jpg

After we ooh'ed and aah'ed over the "Ring of Fire" that we won't be experiencing here for another 40 years, it occurred to me that the moon-impeded daytime lighting seemed just about right for a little coin photography. :shame:

There were a few coins that were already in my photography queue, but I figured I would include, as a tribute to Luna and Sol, the following two subjects...

Caracalla - Antoninianus Luna Biga Bulls ex Kelly 2993 new.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Antoninianus. 5.18g, 23.6mm. Rome mint, AD 217. RIC IV 284a corr. (draped and cuirassed; see plate); RSC 396a. O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. R: P M TR P XX COS IIII P P, Diana Lucifera (or Luna) wearing crescent on head, fold of drapery in circle round head, holding reins and driving galloping biga of bulls left.
    Ex Michael Kelly Collection

Probus - Ant Sol Quadriga ex Phil Davis 042 new.jpg
    PROBUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.31g, 22mm. Rome mint, circa AD 276-282. RIC 202; Cohen 644. O: IMP PROBVS AVG, Bust radiate left, almost half-length, seen from front, wearing consular robes and holding eagle-tipped scepter. R: SOLI INVICTO, Sol raising right hand and holding globe and whip in left, in quadriga of horses leaping left; in exergue, crescent flanked by R and B (officina 2).
    Ex Phillip Davis Collection

For some silly reason, I was hoping that the light from the annular eclipse might work a little magic and aid in my re-photography attempts of these coins. It didn't, but I think the resulting pics are still passable. :D

Anyway, since you're here, please do free to share your favorite coins of Luna and Sol, or anything else related! :happy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

It's particularly interesting that the animals on your Caracalla ant have a bull's head but a horse's body. Is that part of the design or was the engraver so used to engraving horses that he rendered all other draught animals horse-ish, too?

Here is a Republican Luna, identifiable by the crescent over her head:
    Römische Republik – Denar, anonym, Luna in Biga.jpg
    Roman Republic, anonymous issue, AR denarius, 179–170 BC, Rome mint. Obv: Helmeted head of Roma, r.; behind, denominational mark X. Rev: Luna in biga r., with horses prancing; in exergue, ROMA (traces of overstriking?). 20mm, 3.80g. Ref: RRC 158/1. Ex JB collection; ex AMCC 2, lot 93 (their picture).

TypeCoin971793, TIF, Limes and 15 others like this.
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

zumbly, The Caracalla double-denarius is a gem :jawdrop:! The portrait is excellent & the reverse is imaginative & exceptional :woot:. This is the 1st time I've seen this reverse :wideyed:.

zumbly likes this.
  5. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Nice coins and write up!

Here are two portaits of Luna aka Selene:

luna1.jpg
    Commodus
    Alexandria
    Billon-Tetradrachm
    Obv.: M A KOM ANTω CЄB ЄYCЄB, laureate head right
    Rev.: Bust of Luna/Selene left within crescent; LΛ (date) to right, LΛ= year 30 = AD 189/190
    Billon, 11.19g, 23mm
    Ref.: Geißen 2252, Dattari 3889

Luna2.jpg
    Hierapolis
    Asia Minor, Phrygia
    Æ 17
    Obv.: Draped bust of Selene right on crescent
    Rev.: IEPAΠOΛEITΩN, winged Nemesis standing left, holding bridle and drawing drapery away from her neck
    Æ, 17.6mm, 5.16g
    Ref.: SNG Cop 420, SNG Muenchen 220

6. zumbly

I wouldn't be surprised! I do think the reverse style of my ex x6 example is much better, even if I can't speak to the accuracy of the bulls. :)

Caracalla - x6 Antoninianus Oxen Biga 2588.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Antoninianus. 5.19g, 24mm. Rome mint, AD 215. RIC 245c; BMCRE 121. O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: P M TR P XVIII COS IIII P P, Luna in biga of oxen galloping left, fold of drapery billowing in semicircle around head.
    Ex Stevex6 Collection, CNG E-sale 297 (27 Feb 2013), lot 436; ex CNG E-sale 186 (16 Apr 2008), lot 197

Thanks! I love the reverse type. We see Sol so much more often than Luna on our coins. Here they are gracing the Parabiago Plate, and getting equal billing. :)

[​IMG]

TypeCoin971793, Andres2, TIF and 16 others like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That Caracalla is an exceptionally nice example of that issue and it's one I've been wanting to add to my own collection. Not to disrespect the Probus (which is very lovely), I'd like to focus on the iconography of the coin of Caracalla. You describe the reverse figure as:

I think it's clear that the figure is Luna Lucifera, for the companion issue for his mother, Julia Domna, overtly titles her with the inscription LVNA LVCIFERA:

Domna LVNA LVCIFERA denarius.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.07 g, 20.6 mm, 12:00.
    Rome mint under Caracalla, AD 215.
    Obv: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right
    Rev: LVNA LVCIFERA, Luna in biga of horses, galloping right, drapery billowing behind head.
    Refs: RIC 379c; BMCRE 10; Cohen 105; RCV 7101; Hill 1477.

But that's not the important issue. I'd like to bring attention to the fold of drapery in a circle billowing behind the figure of Luna Lucifera on both the Caracalla and Domna issues. I don't think this is merely the representation of the goddess's palla billowing like a parachute from the speedy travel in her biga. I think it represents the entire star-filled nighttime sky -- the celestial hemisphere itself.

A denarius or antoninianus is too small a medium to express this idea, but I see it put forth on this sestertius of Faustina I which I recently acquired for my collection:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 26.54 g, 33 mm.
    Rome, AD 150-161.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS, Aeternitas standing left, holding globe and raising above head a starry mantle.
    Refs: RIC 1106; BMCRE 1495-97; Cohen 30; Sear 4610; Strack 1262; Dinsdale 020810.

Note that Aeternitas bears a similar billowing circle behind her, but that it is decorated with stars. This is better seen on the British Museum's example of the coin:

00671695_001_l.jpg

Now, I'd like to focus on @zumbly 's coin. It's a well-struck, well-preserved example and the details are clear:

1234567.jpg

Luna Lucifera has a crescent moon on her forehead -- after all, she IS the moon -- but is that a star I see within that billowing circle of drapery behind the crescent?

I think it is, just as represented on the billowing mantle in my sestertius of Faustina I, above. If so, the biga carries not only the moon (Luna), but the entire star-filled nighttime sky!

Andres2, TIF, Limes and 18 others like this.
  8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The reverse of this coin under Alexander Severus depicts Sol driving quadriga in upper center. It was struck in Amasia. Alx Sever O          Amasia.JPG AlxPontos R   Altar-Sol.JPG

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super cool getting a day of Eclipse in for your Holidays!!! Neat pic.

I only have a couple Lunas

RR Anon 189-179 BCE AR Den Roma Luna Biga S 69 Cr 158-1.jpg
    RR Anon 189-179 BCE AR Den Roma Luna Biga S 69 Cr 158-1

RR Furius Purpurio 169-157 BCE Roma Luna Biga Linear Frame murex shell Cr 187-1.jpg
    RR Furius Purpurio 169-157 BCE Roma Luna Biga Linear Frame murex shell Cr 187-1

TIF, Limes, Spaniard and 9 others like this.
  10. zumbly

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I just copied that description from somewhere. In any case, I was under the impression, possibly mistaken, that Diana Lucifera and Luna Lucifera were essentially one and the same?
    Interesting! That would be a lovely and poetic detail, but having just taken a quick look at a dozen or so other examples of this Caracalla type, most of which were clear enough, I can't say I see anything resembling stars in the billowing drapery of any of them. I might have to take a closer look at mine in hand again.

Severus Alexander and 7Calbrey like this.
  11. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

A great thread. I'm envious, not only of that spectacular solar eclipse!
    Here are some of my lunar objects.

2500 ct.jpg
    Julia Domna 193-217, denarius, Rome. Obv. Bust to the right, hair without recognisable bun or moon pin (or very insignificant). IVLIA PIA FELIX. Rev. Luna, cloak billowing around her head (no star visible), in biga drawn by horses on ground line, to the left, LVNA LVCIFERA. 18 mm, 2.85 gr. Ex-Tom Cederlind.

3216 Elag Moesia wo.jpg
    AE16 Elagabalus 218-222, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior. Obv.: Laureated head r. Rev.: Crescent with 3 stars. 16 mm, 3.23 gr.

3296 Elagabal 555.jpg
    Tetradrachm Elagabalus (218-222), Alexandria. Billon. Dated RY 5 (221/222). Obv. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev. Conjoined busts of Helios, draped and wearing radiate crown, and Selene, draped and wearing crescent-moon crown, right; L Є (date) to lower right. 22.5 mm, 12.62 gr. Emmett 2933.5.

This is a favorite coin. On the reverse, a royal and godly pair, one looking up, the other one down: a highly developed realistic design involving movement and contrast (characteristics of Baroque style!), whereas most often Roman numismatic art is static.

5145 Phraates drachm ct.jpg
    Phraates IV (38-2). AR drachm. Obv. Bust to the left with Parthian tiara, left crescent moon and star, right an eagle with a wreath in its beak. Cartoonish style. Rev. Archer on a stool, before him ‘NI’ (don’t think of those Knights!). Lettering unreadable. Mint Mitradatkert. 19.4 mm, 3.84 gr. Sellwood 54.10 (more or less).

If you talk crescent moons, you talk Sasanians. Many of them abound in crescents. Here’s one:

5388 Y I ct.jpg
    Yazdgard I (399-420), silver drachm. Obv. Head right with hairball-topped crown, a merlon at the side, large crescent at the front, pearl netted hairball in the neck. Rev.: Fire altar with attendants. A word on the pillar of the altar. To the upper left, two crescents, the lower one with a dot in it. To the upper right, a crescent with a dot under it. 26.5 mm, 4.25 gr. Göbl type I/1.

6297 QA Bukhara ct.jpg
    Qarakhanid AE fals Bukhara. 384H? (=994 AD). Obv. Four upturned crescents, a horizontal line of text in the middle. Vertically, two symbols. Rev. Four upturned crescents, with Arabic text in the form of a cross (!) in the middle. Compare with Cannito 38. 29 mm, 2.55 gr.

Andres2, TIF, Limes and 11 others like this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...i love that song and album....i bought the it when it came out for 'all i got to do', but it all is good..:)

Severus Alexander and zumbly like this.
  13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie...I was hoping to open this thread and see a bunch of nekkid Venus bums...but this is a good thread none-the-less :p
    I only have two coins featuring a moon:

Kingdom of Elymais
    Orodes III, AE Δrachm
    Obverse: Bust of king facing, anchor and crescent to right
    Reverse: Pattern of dashes and dots.
    IMG-5459-removebg-preview.png

Kingdom of Elymais
    Orodes I
    AE Drachm. ca 100 AD.
    Obverse: Bust left, with long beard and wearing diademed tiara ornamented with anchor. Pellet within crescent above anchor with one bar, to right
    Reverse: bust of Artemis right.
    IMG-5471-removebg-preview.png

Andres2, TIF, Limes and 10 others like this.
  14. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I have no Luna but I do have many Sol.

[​IMG]

15. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That must have been spectacular @zumbly ! I’ve traveled to parts of the country where solar eclipses were to be visible but on both occasions, cloud cover moved in and I was unable to view the totality.

Here is the only coin that I own that features and astronomical event.

TOP.jpg
    A2.jpg
    A3.jpg
    BOTTOM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Andres2, TIF, Carausius and 11 others like this.
  16. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Superb Elymais, @furryfrog02 !

17. zumbly

Blow Away! I like that one too. :)
    Mine's not the best, but here you go. :rolleyes:
    Julia Domna - Veneri Victr.jpg
    I'm not especially knowledgeable about astronomy, but I understand they're not rare, per se, so I'm sure you'll eventually get to see one unobstructed. :)
    Nice one! I've always liked these, and actually bought one about 5 or 6 years ago. It turned out to be the first coin that ever went missing in the mail for me, under rather dodgy circumstances, too. It was a bit traumatic, and I never could bring myself to buy another one.

TIF, Limes, Severus Alexander and 8 others like this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Diana Lucifera and Luna Lucifera are essentially the same. I didn't bring this up to distinguish the two names of the goddess as if they were somehow different. I said this to point out that the figure on the Caracalla coin is Luna Lucifera because that coin doesn't specifically say that it is. The coin's reverse reads P M TR P XX COS IIII P P. I note that the corresponding coins of Domna do explicitly read LVNA LVCIFERA, so the figure on the reverse of the Caracalla coin is almost certainly Luna Lucifera, too.

I know the small silver coins don't show stars. Nor do they on the Faustina silver issues:

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Aeternitas globe and billowing veil denarius.jpg

But they do on the corresponding sestertius:

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Aeternitas globe and billowing veil sestertius.jpg

I think this is only because the silver issues are too small to represent them. I think, though, the typical Greco-Roman polytheist may have interpreted the "billowing veil" as representing the celestial hemisphere despite the lack of detail or stars. We see what we expect to see and I think the average Roman was familiar with representations of Luna, including some that depicted her with the mantle of the heavens.

Andres2, TIF, Limes and 8 others like this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah, right..:)..i can remember every word of a song, but not recall the title..:rolleyes:

zumbly likes this.
  20. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@zumbly - fun post and I like the idea of capturing photos of luna by the light of an eclipse. You can include me in the list of fans of your Caracalla with bull-horses. The first predicted eclipse is said to have been on May 28, 585 BC, when Cyaxares of Media was at war with Lydia. Herodotus writes:

In the sixth year, when neither could claim superiority, in the midst of an engagement, the day was suddenly involved in darkness. This phenomenon, and the particular period at which it was to happen, had been foretold by Thales the Milesian. Awed by the solemnity of the event, the parties desisted from engagement, and it further influenced them both to listen to certain positions for peace, which were made by Syennesis of Cilicia and Labynetus of Babylon.
    -The History of Herodotus p 61

Here is a coin with Sun, Moon and Stars:
    Lucretius Trio Blu.jpg
    L. Lucretius Trio, AR Denarius, 74 BC. Rome
    Obv: Radiate head of Sol right
    Rev: L LVCRETI in exergue, crescent moon with TRIO and seven stars above.
    Ref: Crawford 390/1
    Note : 32 obverse dies and the 7 stars refer to the constellation known as Septentriones, the Triones were 7 oxen driving a mill stone, as the the 7 stars of Ursa Major (Big Dipper) drive around the pole, a play on the moneyer's name.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Andres2, TIF, Limes and 10 others like this.
  21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Septimius Severus Luna and Gallienus SOLI CONS AVG.

SeptimiusSeverusSAECVLIFELICIT.jpg

gal1.jpg

gal2.jpg

TIF, Limes, Severus Alexander and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted