Here are Some Toned Indian Cents from My Personal Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Penny Lady®, Jun 5, 2009.

1. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Would love to help you get started collecting these beauties - just let me know when you're ready!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

WOW!!! :bigeyes:
    My eyes just fell out, of the ole' noggin!
    That is a beauty!
    Didn't know a memorial penny, could look so good... :D

4. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

WOW, Todd is FAST too:)

5. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

WOW! that 72 is breathtaking!!!!! Beautiful coin.

6. 4largecents

4largecents Goldpan Man

Now those are nice!!!!:D I wish some of mine would tone like that.:kewl:

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

OMG! That 72 DDO....unbelievable! :eek: :bigeyes:

8. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Sorry bro- I don't think hardly anyone would agree with the opinion you stated. Those coins are far from AT or cleaned. That toning is through exact right conditions. That kind of toning is rare. Have Rick Snow jump on this post and comment. I'll PM him. Just MHO's

9. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

What a nice memorial, I don't think I've seen a [nice] toned memorial cent that wasn't proof!!
    (the fact that its a DDO is pretty neat too I guess :rolleyes: )

10. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I didn't really read your post very well Charmy, and you said it well. Eye appeal is everything and I can't imagine why anyone would think your coins are "problem" coins. They are downright amazing. I had to put on my sunglasses from the illumination!!

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would like to know what exactly makes you think some or all of these coins are AT. I personally don't think they are AT but I am also not a collector of copper coins and my knowledge regarding copper toning is not on the same level as my knowledge of silver toning.

12. Lehigh96

I feel compelled to ask. You state that the TPG's opinion of the originality of the toning is not important, only the eye appeal of the coin. My question is this: does that mean that you don't care if the coin is actually AT vs NT as long as it is eye appealing? Phrased another way, if someone showed you definitive indisputable proof that one of these coins was AT, would your opinion of the coin change?

PS. I love them all.

13. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

My earlier comment was made only to see how many people ... if any ... would reply with there opinions if the slabs were not shown. I am by far no expert on copper coin toning or for that matter any other toned metals. I like the look of these coins , but I've seen other copper with similar color patterns of purple and orange that were deemed to be altered in some way. It's never a sure thing for amateurs such as myself to know , that's why I leave it up to the TPG'S to determine. I would never lay out big money for raw toned coins myself simply because it's a crap-shoot that I'm not willing to play. Thanks for showing the coins and best of luck going forward.

14. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Well after looking at these darlings and what Penny Lady has on her site I went on to Ebay and bought a couple LOL 1879 and 1891 as soon as they arrive I will post scans of them :D

15. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Lehigh, I can't answer that directly because this goes back to my discussion that you quoted - what does artificial toning really mean? Even the top third party graders PCGS and NGC cannot agree on that. I guess the best way I can try to answer your question is this: If I like the way a coin looks - and I have my own personal criteria as to what that includes (such as luster, color, strike, minimal marks and spots, overall eye appeal, and more) - and then someone came by and said here is a photo of what that coin looked like yesterday and I just used such and such chemical to make that coin look toned today, first of all, of course, I would ask how did they do that, but my original opinion of the coin's beauty would not change. However, one question that does give me pause in this scenario is, is the toning permanent or is it simply applied to the surface and can be wiped off? Perhaps that should be part of the criteria in determining what artificial toning is, but then that might mean some sort of damage to the surface. Just something else to consider.

As I stated before, it does not matter to me for my own personal collection, but I can understand why collectors who may not be as experienced with copper would want to stick with slabbed coins. I am comfortable with purchasing raw copper as much as I am in purchasing slabbed copper. I will admit that I sometimes have to pay more for toned slabbed copper. By the way, I do caution my own customers who purchase raw toned coins not to be surprised if PCGS or NGC won't grade them, but if they are really intent on getting toned coins holdered, I suggest that they try NGC first as they are more lenient with toned coins. I personally think that PCGS is not as well versed with copper as NGC, but that's a discussion for another day.

Toned coins continue to be controversial and there are people who are really good at chemically creating beautifully toned coins. I'm not saying that that's a good thing at all, and who knows what those coins will look like in the years to come and what it will do to their value. Again, let's save that for some other string. I'm just saying that I personally choose toned coins for my own collection because I like the way they look, holdered or raw, I am just happy to have a beautifully eye appealing coin.

16. Lehigh96

Thank you for that very eloquent and diplomatic response. I completely understand your view regarding toning and I think our views are very similar even if we do collect coins of different compositions.

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Terrific photos of some gorgeous coins! Thanks for posting them and kudos to Todd for his expert work.

Draft saved Draft deleted