Here are a few odd quarters with errors.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Alexander Sanchez, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The minting process is well documented and understood. However, there are an almost unlimited number of ways a coin be damaged after it leaves the mint. You shouldn't conclude that a coin is an error because you cant explain what caused the damage. You must be able to explain how it occurred in the minting process.

Also remember that many members of coin talk are extremely knowledgeable of errors and the minting process. These arent some guys at the local bar offering an unsubstantiated opinion, they have demonstrated their knowledge on this site numerous times.

If you feel that these coins are please are true errors, please offer your explanation of how it occurred at the mint. These don't look like they occurred during the minting process to me

Danomite likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

• I do apreciate your views and agree that a statement without knowledge may just be as good as gossip but my point was a general reference and not directly targeting any one particular subject.now since you would like aome evidence regarding his coin .heres what i know for a fact.i have a speciman that is exactly as he describes.i also have both samples that are missing clad and specimens where the clad has just completely deteriorated away.neither of these are remotely close to what he describes.the color is a off geeen completely full stamping with lil or no errors or pmd.now dont u think if even reg coins get bag scratches the chances of his speciman and mine are damage at the mint?in proscessing perhaps

4. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Ahhhh ok point made.i must show cause.if i knew why pennys had bubblez in the finishes.if i knew at first yhe diff beyween machine doubling worn die or doubled die i would be the mint.master thanks
    For your guidence

5. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Can someone please explain to me the cause of the copper waining line around the reeding of the clad coins

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If a coin gets damaged at the mint it's still just damage. It makes no difference where it gets damaged. Anything after it leaves the press is damage. That means it has no value over face value.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not sure what you are trying to say. Images?

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Please provide corroborating data on how you are sure you have a missing clad layer. I am surprised that you haven't provided weights, thicknesses , and strike characteristics, since these are easy data that supports your claim.

I am also very interested in your comment regarding the deterioration of the outer clad layer? Are you suggesting that this deterioration occurred during the minting process? The 75Cu25Ni alloy is a pretty stable alloy. You can see discoloration during certain environmental conditions (I'm not sure if it's due to copper enrichment of the surfaces, or something else), but for the entire layer to deteriorate? Interesting theory. Do you have any metallurgical info to support this?

Danomite likes this.
  9. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

These aren't errors. Environmental damage more likely. One of them possibly a sidewalk piece.

10. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Wow every time i log on again my mind is blown at how juvenile my level of knowledge is in regards to coinage.im just now beginning to grasp the fact that a minimal amount of knowlege could easily require more than a lifetime of full dedication to tHe art.thank you all for granting me your time regarding my petty questions.your true gentlemen and again i thank you all.

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

clad is layered metal.
    It's a layer
    it's inconsistent as it's design wasn't designed to be consistent. It was designed as a method to make coins to be used for money.

Draft saved Draft deleted