Hercules series of Maximianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Jan 29, 2019.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I noticed that Maximian had a lot of interesting coins with a Hercules on the reverse. I have four in the collection. Post your coins from this series.

This text I found on forumancientcoins: About 287, Diocletian assumed the title Iovius and Maximian assumed the title Herculius. The titles were symbolic of their roles: Diocletian-Jove was dominant, responsible for planning and commanding; Maximian-Hercules had the heroic role of completing assigned tasks. Despite the symbolism, the emperors were not actually worshiped as the gods Jupiter and Hercules in the imperial cult. Instead, they were seen as the gods' instruments, imposing the gods' will on earth.

First coin with interesting bust type.

Maximianus. Æ antoninianus. Siscia, AD 288/9. Obv. IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, Radiate bust right, with slight drapery on both shoulders. Rev. CONSERVATOR AVGG, emperor standing facing, head right, holding scepter, facing Hercules, standing facing, head left, resting hand on grounded club, each sacrificing out of patera over lighted table-altar; Γ//·XXI·ΛI·. RIC 580.
    120-05.jpg
    Second coin is part of the series of 'coded' issues of Maximianus at Siscia. In this series, one third of the name of Hercules ('HPKOYLI') appears on coins from each of the three officinae at the mint. This coin is the second coin in the series, from the second officina (identified by the 'B' in the mintmark) and therefore has the 'KOY' of 'HPKOYLI' in the exergue.

Maximianus, Æ Antoninianus. Siscia, AD 289-290. Obv. IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev. CONSERVATOR AVGG, Emperor standing right with sceptre, and Hercules with club standing left, clasping hands over altar; XXIBKOY in exergue. RIC 580.
    120-11.jpg
    Third coin in poor quality with Hercules holding club, trophy and lionskin.

Maximianus. Æ antoninianus. Rome. Obv. IMP MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev. VIRTVS AVGG, Hercules standing looking left, holding club, trophy and lionskin. Mintmark XXIΓ. RIC 515.
    120-06.jpg
    Forth coin is follis with Hercules holding club and apples.

Maximianus. Follis. Alexandria. Obv: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, Laureate head right. Rev: HERCVLI VICTORI / S - P / B / ALE. Hercules standing facing, head left, lion skin over shoulder, holding club set on ground and apples. RIC 38.
    120-01.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of this series. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll have to keep an eye out for these.

Very nice and interesting collection.

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Gogili1977, You've got a nice group of coins ;). Stephen Williams in his book DIOCLETIAN AND THE ROMAN RECOVERY repeats the same thing forumancientcoins has to say in your post. Attached below are photos of the dream coin of the type you like to collect. It's a gold medallion of 5 Aureii weight, Ticinum Mint, one of three known :rolleyes:. The reverse shows Hercules being crowned by Roma, & a river good at his feet. The coin is celebrating his pacification of the Rhine frontier.
    Photo courtesy of flickr.
    upload_2019-1-29_16-4-31.png

Draft saved Draft deleted