Henry VIII and his wives

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Nap, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Henry VIII is among the most famous English monarchs, best known for his many wives and his break from the Catholic Church, as well as his imposing presence in the famous Hans Holbein painting. Tudor history remains well known in popular culture, as it makes a good soap opera, and has been the subject of many books and films. Coin collectors are probably not so enamored with him as his debasement of the currency led to some less attractive coinage, especially late in his reign.

Henry was married 6 times and his wives are famous as well. There is even a new West End/Broadway show about them- Six the Musical. Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. Four of Henry's wives were referenced on his coins. On the English coins, the letters K, A, and I are found on the gold crown of the double rose, and these are presumed to be of Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, and Jane Seymour, Henry's first three wives.

On Henry’s Irish coins, the same letters are found on the groats, but this time the K is thought to represent Katherine Howard, Henry's 5th wife.

Henry's 4th wife, Anne of Cleves, and 6th wife Katherine Parr, are not believed to have been referenced on the coins. But it's impossible to know for sure.

Here are three Irish groats, depicting h A (Henry and Anne), h I (Henry and Jane), and h K (Henry and Katherine)

3ACFDD42-AF82-4998-8ED9-144B9D56CC7B.jpeg

94AD199C-A27D-4208-A95B-5F7529AA05AF.jpeg

2E87654E-299C-40AC-9AB4-34A02A51EE5D.jpeg

longshot, old49er, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice coins, I had an Irish Groat of Henry VIII but parted with it since I had acquired these.

[​IMG]
    Henry VIII (1509-1547 A.D.)
    AR Groat
    Second Coinage
    O: hЄnRIC’ VIII D’ G’ R’ ΛGLIЄ Z FRΛnCЄ, crowned bust right (Laker bust D); saltire stops, Lombardic lettering.
    R: POSVI DEV’ ΛDIVTORЄ’ mЄV’, royal shield over long cross fourchée; saltires in forks, double saltire stops, Lombardic lettering.
    Tower mint; im:arrow, 1526-1532 A.D.
    25mm
    2.55g
    SCBC 2337E; North 1797

[​IMG]
    Henry VIII (1509-1547 A.D.)
    AR Groat
    Third Coinage
    O: D. G. AnG. FRA. Z hIB. RЄX, , crowned bearded bust half right, rose after rex. , Laker bust A.
    R: C[IVI] TAS BRIS TOLIЄ, royal coat-of-arms over long cross fourchée; lis in forks; pellet below third quarter of shield; rose after TAS, lis before BRIS; pellet on inner border.
    Bristol mint; im: -/WS “monogram of William Sharrington” Struck circa 1546-1547.
    2.45g
    26mm
    North 1846; SCBC 2372

old49er and tibor like this.
  4. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Here’s the man himself, with his famous late-in-life portrait on a testoon.

FE37264B-5E9B-4C75-A433-2DA6E88FA546.jpeg

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

6. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Is there room for a coin from one of his kids?
    A Queen Mary groat from 1553-1554. I'd like to get a debased silver from Henry
    VIII but haven't run into one yet. Mary Groat 1553-4.jpeg

old49er and panzerman like this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Anne of Cleves came from my neck of the woods, Julich-Cleve-Berg / a Herzogtum. It is hilarious that the fat ulgy Henry was shown a portrait of Anne painted by Hans Holbein. It showed her as a ravishing beauty (like Melania Trump) When she arrived in merry England, Henry looked at her and said, I cannot marry thee, thou art "ugly". So she was sent back to Germany, with her head attached;)

The Eidolon likes this.
  8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Another Henry VIII Groat:

[​IMG]
    England Henry VIII (1509-1547) Groat
    Silver, 24 mm, 3.05 gm
    Obverse:
    Crowned bust of King Henry VII facing right, legend around
    HENRIC VIII DI GRA REX AGL Z FR(A)
    (Henry the Eighth by the Grace of God King of England and France)
    Portcullis mintmark top right
    Reverse:
    Quartered shield of arms over long cross fourche, legend around
    POSVI DEV ADIVTORE MEV (I have made God my helper)
    Struck 1509-1526

I believe that Anne of Cleves stayed in England after her divorce.
    She received a large financial settlement from Henry VIII.

:)

old49er likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted