Henry III Silver Penny (Half) ??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Topcat7, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

This coin was sold to me as a King Henry III 1216-1272 Silver Penny (Half), voided long-cross.
    While I can see some distinct similarities with some of the King Henry III Pennies, I cannot relate the reverse inscription to any pennies of that type.
    Can anyone help me, please?
    Magical Snap - 2016.03.28 17.39 - 094a.jpg Magical Snap - 2016.03.28 17.41 - 096a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

COULD JUST BE HENRY 111--MONEYER DAVID LONDON

4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Pity that you only have half of the coin. However, let's see what we can make of it.
    It looks like a Henry III portrait. Main subdivision: it's the type with scepter with III left of it.
    On the other side the general formula is " Mintmaster "ON" Mintplace". Here we can recognize "Lunde" for London. But it is divided a bit oddly. Usually it is just "Lund", sometimes "Lunden". But here it is "..[O]/ N LU / NDE", with ligature between N and D.
    With this information i went to a good reference site on these: http://www.henry3.com/london-5b.html
    With some scrolling down i get to Class 5b2, Moneyer Henry. (alternative, and very much similar Class 5a3, also Henry)

(Davi did the LUN/DEN, but i don't think the ..LU/NDE division)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thank-you wyvern, and THCoins. Great information there, esp. the reference to the Henry coins, THCoins - Thank-you.
    The closest I can get is the Class 5a3 that you alluded to and I am happy to go with that.
    Thank-you both again.

Ligature? (binding?)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted