Henry II Tealby penny

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just won this Tealby penny of Henry II. I now have a few members of the family: Eleanor, her husband Henry II, and their son Richard I. I am still looking for John.

I know the legends are missing from a flat strike, but the portrait is great imho.

Please post your coins of Henry II or members of his family. I have seen others post their Tealby pennies, please post them here.

Henry II. 1154-1189. AR Tealby penny. 1.43 gm. 21 mm. Facing bust with scepter, curl on right / Large cross potent with a small cross potent in each angle; WIL…. S. 1339. N. 956. Very Fine; central parts clear as struck with a rusty die; no legends visible; good metal. The Douglas Bayern Collection.
    henry II tealby.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Cool addition. A neat style of portrait.

4. alde

alde Always Learning

One of the best portraits I have seen. That's a great coin. Congratulations .
    Henry II Tealby Penny.png

5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Tealby @Orfew It's a great coin with a really sharp bust.
    You are putting that dysfunctional family back together. Geoffrey, the 4th of Henry's 5 sons, struck coins as Duke of Brittany. You will see him called Geoffrey Plantagenet or Geoffrey II Duke of Brittany. The coins are continental deniers, and not too hard to find.

This is my favorite Tealby.
    Henry II  Tealby.jpg
    Henry II AR Penny Tealby type 1161-1165 AD Canterbury mint
    19mm 1.28g
    Obv: hEN[ . . . ]; Crowned facing bust of king holding scepter.
    Obv: ROGIER ON CAN; Short cross pattee with and crosslets in quarters.
    North 957

Curtisimo, chrsmat71, alde and 5 others like this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, what a great example, coingrats!!

7. Orfew

Thanks @TheRed

I am going to try to find a coin of Geoffrey. It would be nice to have a coin of yet another member of the family.

alde likes this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That is an excellent portrait! I wouldn’t be happy unless I had some of the legend, but that is an excellent coin regardless. It seems you have moved into one of my areas of interest with the Angevines...

Orfew likes this.
  9. Orfew

Certainly not intentionally. I bought the coin because Henry II is an interesting historical figure. I also have several members of the family now and thought it wold make a nice sub-collection.

FitzNigel likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, not someone I own.

Draft saved Draft deleted