Henning Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, Mar 24, 2011.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK, so Henning nickels have always interested me. I would really like to put together a collection of them, but there are a few things I don't know. I know the most famous issue was the 1944 because he failed to put a P on the reverse. My understanding is he also made nickels dated 1939, 1946, 1947, and 1953. Are there any other dates or would a full Henning Counterfeit Nickel set consist of 5 coins?

Now, as far as distinguishing them from real nickels, my understanding is the main give-away (other than the lack of P on the 1944) is a loop on the R in Pluribus on the reverse. I assume he used the same reverse die for all his coins...so regardless of date this should be present on all of his coins. Is this correct?

I have only seen pictures of these coins...never one in hand. All the photos I have seen tend to show them pretty worn. Do Henning nickels have uncirculated examples known...or were they worn looking since their production?

Finally, what are they worth? Are any of the dates more valuable than others? Also, is there a dealer out there that is known to have some of these for sale?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Your dates sound about right to me although I don't have a single Henning Nickel.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I only have the 1944 No-P Henning Nickel. Examples pop up on occasion on eBay. You should expect to pay around $40 or so for one.

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's what a dealer friend of mine told me recently Camaro, about $40 or so. He has a few of them, but won't sell them to me. I've been trying to get one off him for about ten years.

Bruce

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No it is not. Most of the 1944 Hennings are from this die and a few of the others as well, but a few 1944 Hennings and most of the other dates come from other reverse dies that do not have the hole in the R.

7. CamaroDMD

So how do you distinguish them?

8. CamaroDMD

Anybody know how to distinguish the different Henning nickels?

9. Tukas

Tukas New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted