Help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NeedHelpPlease, Jun 3, 2020.

1. NeedHelpPlease

NeedHelpPlease New Member

Hi. My mom found this when she was a child. She was recently going through some things and came across it again. No one was ever able to tell her what it was and we’re not even sure it is a coin. Anyway, I figured this would be the best place to start to at least find out if it is a coin or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CD0EEFDD-CAF0-4873-B3F5-490EEA29C1C2.jpeg 17B87775-0D19-4048-9A05-872FDC93A7B8.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looks to be a button from a military coat.

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I agree with Paddy, it being a button was my first thought as well.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Is that both sides?
    or a duplicate of one side and rotated?

6. NeedHelpPlease

It is both sides.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, looks like a very old foreign button. Maybe from Canada but that's just a guess as it looks a little bit French to me! ;)

8. NeedHelpPlease

Ok, thanks everyone for your input!

9. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

If it’s a button, where is the button loop? Both sides look too clean to have had one removed. I wonder if it isn’t some sort of membership token from a fraternal organization. Is anybody here familiar with communion tokens? (Just a wild stab; I’m not.)

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

A two-sided button? I dunno. Could it have been a pendant? It looks like something might have broken off at about 10:00 in the 2nd photo.

PlanoSteve and Oldhoopster like this.
  11. trussell

trussell Active Member

The images look like some kind of tropical structure, like a house on stilts with plants growing underneath. Interesting.

12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

An interesting looking object - I'd call it a trellis & vine motif. You might try somewhere like the National Button Society or a museum like the Smithsonian for expert help. Here's an Etruscan gold disc from 600 BC that also would be "of mysterious purpose" and somewhat button like.

PlanoSteve likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted