Help with Vespasian AE26 from Stobi, and Augustus caught silver crabs!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Plumbata, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

I bought this as a random unidentified coin last year along with several bronzes of the Macedonian Koinon, and have been having some difficulty finding an exact match:

Vespasian bronze (as?) of Stobi, Macedonia. 26mm, 9.79g

The legend reads: "T IMP VESPASIANVS AVG I COS VI" and "MUNICIPIVM STOBENSIVM" on the reverse. I searched around but couldn't find a match for the obverse legend, and was hoping some of you may have some insights? The "COS VI" suggests the coin was minted during Vespasian's 6th consulship in A.D. 75 or so, but I only recall seeing later consulships on his coins from Stobi? And what does the "T" in "T IMP" mean or refer to?

(please pardon the junky pics coin is much better in hand, my good camera broke recently)
    102_0118.JPG

102_0117.JPG

These 3 silvers came in the past couple days, a worn Cistophorus of Augustus minted in Ephesus c. 25-20 BC, 10.92g 24mm, an Akragas didrachm 8.36g 18mm, and an Akragas Litra 0.55g 10mm, which reads "ΛΙ" in retrograde under the crab, denoting the denomination which I think is rather interesting. Got all 3 for less than 300 shipped.
    102_0119.JPG
    102_0120.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The obverse legend of the first coin reads T IMP VESPASIANVS AVG F COS VI. The T refers to Titus, and therefore, it's a coin of Titus rather than Vespasian, though struck under Vespasian when Titus was still Caesar (his COS VI = AD 77/8). It's Varbanov 3802 (R5).

4. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Very helpful, thank you! You make it look so easy, hah. Guess I'd better invest in Varbanov's books so I don't ask such silly questions in the future. Thanks again!

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Varbanov's books are very comprehensive, and useful if decide you need a catalog number when attributing a lot of provincial coins of this area. There's otherwise not a whole lot of general information to accompany all the coin pictures and descriptions.

Plumbata likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's a nice mix of birds, sea critters, and religious structures!

Plumbata likes this.
  7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I like your Akragas Litra. It would display nicely with this tet:
    Akragas Crab Collage 1.jpg SICILY, Akragas.
    AR Tetradrachm.
    472-420 B.C.
    16.88 grams, 25 mm
    Obv: Crab as viewed from top
    Rev: Eagle standing left with city
    Name AKRA(C)-ANTOS
    (retrograde N)
    Grade: Good Fine including nice
    centering, ancient fabric &
    cabinet tone.
    Other: SNG.Cop.41, BMC 37

Many folks tell me the eagle on my coin resembles a pigeon. Today I received this photo from a friend that is vacationing in Alaska:
    IMG_7296.JPG
    "Alaskan pigeon"

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

@zumbly is correct about the Stobi Titus as Caesar. It is RPC 310 - a fairly scarce type!

Plumbata likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted