Help with VAM 1883-O

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by EdGs, Jan 13, 2018.

1. EdGs

EdGs Member

Need help with the VAM on this 83-O.

Looks pretty clean except for a couple dark spots, It was in a 2x2, so it might need an acetone soak. It has a few die cracks?/scratches? on the reverse.

(1) At right wing tip
    (2) Between the O and F
    (3) From the A in dollar diagonally to the wreath

I really appreciate the help as I really stink at this. If you need anothe pic of something, let me know. Thanks in advance.

What do you think?

left wing tip
    IMG_20180113_132513647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180113_132850610_HDR.jpg

wingtip crack HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The cracks you show are common and are not considered to be primary features to be listed in the VAM catalog. They are likely features of a specific VAM already cataloged for something like a repunched date or mint mark feature, but by themselves, they don't indicate a specific VAM number. Start with the date and mint mark for 1883-O.

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

5. EdGs

EdGs Member

I did look through the vamworld site quite a bit before i posted. If my means of magnification was just a bit stronger, it would have been much easier.

Well, It took me a while, but I beleive it is a VAM-3. There is a slight chance it could be a 3A, but my coin has some discoloration right in that area, so I'm not quite sure(leaning towards not being a 3A, hopefully an acetone soak will help). Thanks for the help with this.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

VAM 3 is a nice repunched mint mark.

EdGs likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted