Help with translation of this Greek text

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I recently got History of the Later Roman Empire, Volume 1 by J.D Bury for really cheap and have started to read it. Right before the preface is the following words in Greek.

IMG_20170712_171539.jpg

There is no translation given, which I assume is because when the book was first published, Greek (and Latin) was still widely taught, so it would be assumed that readers who would seek to read about ancient history would have good knowledge about reading Greek. But I am a product of the Greek-less U.S. public school system of the late-20th and early 21st century so I am at a loss as to what it says. I recognize a few letters but that's about it. Tried taking a photo through my translator app but that was no real help.

Would really appreciate any help with this!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MarcosX

MarcosX Active Member

i speak modern greek but some stuff is the same i think its -the couples- romans slaves memories
    or memoirs (young or new) and many...... last word i will look up

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. MarcosX

MarcosX Active Member

google translate is giving me conferences for ΣΥΝΟΔΟΙΠΟΡΙΩΝ
    if anybody knows some katharevousa they can probably clean up my translation

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I typed it into Google Translate

MY CYZYGI MY
    'POMMHC HOW TO TAKE COI MNHMHION' ECT
    HEAVY NEAC, SLAUGHTER AND CYNODOID

You're welcome. :joyful::joyful:

Sometimes Google Translate fails big. This is one of those times. o_O

6. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

https://www.onlineocr.net/
    use an image to text translator, they are 100 % accurate

it says

YOU! [HERE MY ROME SPECIFIC PACKAGE THE MEMORY [ONE] NEAC, VEGETABLES AND COSMETICS

7. MarcosX

MarcosX Active Member

okay I punched the whole thing in greek text using a sigma in place of the roman c
    and it gave me church elders instead of slaves and some gobbledygook,
    enjoy!

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

ΣΥΝΟΔΟΙΠΟΡΙΩΝ is fellow traveler, ΠΟLLΩΝ can mean anything from the many to the common men. I might suggest something like 'fellows and companions'. It has been 50 years since I took Greek and I remember mostly that the language was very idiomatic. My favorite line applies here - Ou Panu Euparo - Not at all well-prepared - was explained to me as 'up the creek without a paddle' by my professor who actually thought in ancient Greek.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LOL

ROFL - that's even better! :p

Sounds like Engrish. I love the bit about vegetables and cosmetics. Literally laughed out loud over that one. Ladymarcovan asked what I was laffing at but I could not explain without confusing her further.

In my online translator, I got something about saying "Ni!" to old women unless appeased by the gift of a shrubbery that was cut down with a herring.

But I suspect the program I used also has its flaws.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It won't be translated by Google because it's ANCIENT Greek, not modern.

It reads:

To the one yoked together with me

Let this be a monument to you, of old Rome
    and new and of many fellow travelers.

Sounds like it's a dedication to a wife.

11. Roman Collector

Yes, it's almost certainly to a wife. The feminine article before CΥΖΥΓΩΙ identifies it as the second declension feminine noun used by Euripides (Alc. 314) and others to mean "wife." It literally means "yoke-mate."

12. lordmarcovan

Feeling rather undereducated about now... :sorry:

Bravo, @Roman Collector. That sounds more plausible.

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. MarcosX

MarcosX Active Member

14. MarcosX

MarcosX Active Member

funny thing is there is some cosmetics containing vegetables

15. Roman Collector

I'll make it numismatic by showing my eta sigma phi classics honor society medal. Basically, it's the equivalent of "I studied Latin and/or Greek and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

eta sigma phi medal.jpg

The obverse is part of a quote by Horace, Et mihi res, non me rebus, subjungere conor—My aim ever is to subject circumstances to myself, not myself to them.

The reverse reads "The importance of classical languages."

Curtisimo, TIF, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  16. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I am impressed that anyone can read ancient Greek.

What are the major differences between modern and ancient Greek?

John

17. lordmarcovan

One requires electricity and can only be read on computer monitors or smartphone screens.

The other doesn't, but tends to be carved on rather heavy pieces of stone.

:p;)

18. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Active Member

Bravo! I am very impressed, Roman Collector! Are you self-taught?

19. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Isn't carving letters in stone more of a Roman pastime?

I think the Greeks would rather sculpt a battle or mythical scene.

Are there any prominent inscriptions on the Parthenon for example?

20. MarcosX

MarcosX Active Member

one thing I remember in the Akropolis museum there is marble with inscriptions with costs of construction of the Parthenon... I dont know how prominent they would have been though

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We tend to think of antiquity as what has survived but not what was. I suspect there were shopping lists scratched in wax and graffiti on many surfaces but all we know are things that last 2000 years. I am concerned today that the 21st century will be lost compared to the 20th because so few of us have stacks of letters and diaries compared to what we might call 'the paper generation'. Will the texts and tweets of today be readable in 200 years or 2000? I have a number of letters and books on paper that will be useful to historians trying to reconstruct the way thing were and I know there are a million other stacks of similar material. The posts I made online in the 1990's may or may not be considered crucial to history but the other million stacks of lost bytes might leave a gap rather like the one that makes us think of the the Romans as primarily stone carvers.

Will coin collectors in 2117 have albums of Visa cards with magnetic stripes and/or chips? Will they figure out how to slab a bit of the Cloud? Will there be Lincoln cents dated 2117? We can only guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted