Help With This Newly-Found Roman.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jun 14, 2013.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hello. This Roman coin is of poor condition. It has been recently dug out and cleaned in an average means. Could you please identify it with the remaining few details. Thanks a lot. The coin weighs 13 grams.
    Charles D Rom .O 001.jpg D Rom. R 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Looks like a Serapis issue. He is the right figure on the obverse, with the emperor facing him. Many 3rd century emperors issued the type.

Hope that helps.

4. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

5. 7Calbrey

Thanks a lot. Out of cultural curiosity across this great magnificent site, who are Serapis and Nike? And, to viewer, is Septimius Severus on the right or left side.
    Gratefully
    Charles

6. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Septimius (father of Caracalla) is the bearded one, right ;)

7. medoraman

Thanks Dionysus. Man, SS sure looks like Serapis. I posted that Agathadeamon coin a month ago, looking a lot like that.

8. 7Calbrey

Hi. I think we need to close this thread successfully. We would have to determine whether the man on the right side of the obverse is Emperor Septimius Severus or god Serapis. Maybe MN could friendly send us a scan on this thread of his Agathadeamon coin. Thanks.
    Charles

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Once again => Batman rolls a strike!!! (well played)

10. medoraman

gordsero.jpg

Not saying its this coin, just saying this is the reason I guessed what I did. :) On this one, its Gordian III on the left, Serapis on the right. The reverse is different though.

Draft saved Draft deleted