Help with this little greek bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinianvs, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Valentinianvs

Valentinianvs Well-Known Member

Hi guys!
    I cant find attribution to this little bronze, obverse shows a female head, and in reverse I can see a prow?
    The coin weights 1.89 g and Its maximum diameter is 11mm, and his thik is near 4mm
    Thanks for help in advance!

20170422_212553.jpg 20170422_212559_001.jpg 20170422_212610.jpg

Bing likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oooh, that's going to be a tough one to nail down.

Best guess for obverse: Apollo (he usually looks more feminine than the female deities :D)

Reverse: it does look like a prow but given the wear, it could be part of some other device. Dunno. Could it be the tail of a shrimp, such as on coins of Priapos in Mysia (tiny bronzes, head of Apollo obverse)? Could it be a mussel, such as on the tiny bronzes of Grynion, Aeolis, which also have head of Apollo obverses?

A quick pass through the usual data bases with various key words didn't give many possibilities. I'll try again tomorrow if no one else has offered some possibilities.

Valentinianvs likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Could the reverse be a hippocamp? Otherwise, I have no better idea than @TIF

Valentinianvs likes this.
  5. Valentinianvs

Valentinianvs Well-Known Member

I search for coins of Priapos, and looks very similar in style, and the thing that I think its a prow Its apare4ntly the tail of crayfish!
    Thanks @TIF for the clue and @Bing for the comment!

Draft saved Draft deleted