Help with this Ancient Bronze Owl

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Oct 28, 2014.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hi. The ancient Greek Owl used to always remind me of the silver Tetradrachm of Athena. I know there are also silver similar drachms. But this attached coin is made of bronze. Could you please help me identify it and determine the denomination. Thank you very much .. Charles GR OW O.jpg GR OW R.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Didn't recognize it immediately. But gave it a shot:
    The portrait with the spikey crown => Later Seleukid Kings. =>Most of these are called Antiochos or Demetrios. And indeed left of the owl is a name which can be read as "ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ". Now which one ? Next to the head of the owl is "AI" and to the right of the owl seems to be another name. If the AI is part of "KAI" this means and. => So Antiochus and a co-regent. The most imortant coregency is that of Cleopatra Thea. And indeed the part right of the owl can be read as ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ.
    Final result: Seleucid, Cleopatra Thea + Antiochus VIII, 125-121 BC.

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

Thanks THC. I could not imagine so a comprehensive and quick response. The coin weighs 5.70 g. Did it have any denomination ?
    Charles

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I have a nice pair of Hooters!!

Kleopatra Thea & Antiochos VIII

125-121 BC

seleukid owl replacement a.jpg seleukid owl replacement b.jpg
    kleopatra thea.jpg

chrsmat71 and JBGood like this.
  6. 7Calbrey

Steve.. Nice coins. You know surely their denominations ?
    Charles

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks, 7C ...

=> ummm, both of my examples are "22" mm in diameter (8.12 grams & 8.21 grams)

??? ... could be a different denomination?

=> I merely have my coins listed as AE22

8. 7Calbrey

I am starting to buy a considerable number of raw ancient Greeks like this. Could you assist me to guess the value of the coin I just posted above. Thanks a lot.
    Charles

9. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

What did you pay for it? That amount is its value. I don't think there are any real valuations for these coins.

10. JBGood

But I would pay extra for Stevex6' hooter coins :wacky: and some :beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver:

stevex6 likes this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Market-wise, I would say in the $50 range IF it was cleaned up some more. It seems to have a lot of strong detail. If you get rid of most of the encrustation it would be a very pleasing coin. As it stands, I wouldn't buy it at all because I really don't relish cleaning coins.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just an opinion but I'd pay 2-4x for Steve's dated coins with clear legends than for one that might have more detail hiding and might not. There are many less appealing Greek Bronzes so it is fair to ask 2-4x what number but I would have to agree with JA that any value depends on what is under the crust and I would not risk much on what I see as hints of what may be below. To get $50 for such a coin you will have to find someone who wants it a lot worse than I do. At $10, you'll get more interest. Cleaning it could ruin it but, were it mine, I would try.

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

yes, agree with DS, I would attempt a cleaning as well. I think you will have luck making that one look better, the dirt looks like it would come off fairly easily.

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. 7Calbrey

I think that I got the answer. Hope we would be chatting very soon.
    Charles

15. 7Calbrey

Hello again. I just cleaned the coin gently with a soft toothbrush, and that's what I've got. What do you say ? Charles Anto Owl.jpg Antio O.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I really don't notice any/much difference ... however, I do think that your coin is quite nice (I would be afraid of ruining it by being too aggressive, but some dudes seem to have a lot of patience and could probably continue to clean that coin without wrecking it) ...

7C => I wish you luck on whatever course you take ...

Cheers

cheers.gif

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'd add a distilled water soak and a toothpick to your arsenal. but even if not, I'm with stevex ...it's a nice coin.

18. Marc Aceton

Marc Aceton Active Member

You need something like a scalpel - in order to ablate the dirt under a microscope layer by layer. A needle of single-used syringe might also work. It is definitely worth trying it out but you need patience. This cleaning will take at least some afternoons. Most important is that you work slowly.

7Calbrey likes this.
  19. JBGood

I like it just fine. It's a real old coin that has been buried. It's authentic. Whoooo upload_2014-10-30_15-40-33.jpeg

stevex6 likes this.
  20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome JFT. Thanks for the link.

Jee Francis Therattil likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted