Help with this 1940 P lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JorjeFresco64, Oct 1, 2019.

1. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

On the reverse of this coin has extra lettering some. Looks like maybe the coin was rotated some during the process.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Post photo of Reverse.

JorjeFresco64 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you want us to comment on the reverse a photo is required. :smuggrin:

5. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

Apoligize pictures are slow to upload

6. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

Pictures just uploaded at top in post. Thank you all

7. Collecting Nut

I'm not seeing any extra lettering. Looks like a worn circulated Wheat to me.

8. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

Attached Files:

9. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

More just uploaded. just now uploaded

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

It looks like a little damage to the lettering, and the usual circulation wear. It might also be a touch of a Woodie as I see some evidence of grain in the surface.

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think your coin could be a Lamination Error. It is old enough that contamination has started to lift the laminated metal up.
    Full photo of coins reverse shows it the best.

12. Collecting Nut

Thanks for the last two photos. If you look at the T in CENT you can see where it took a hit. The reverse is damaged from that T into and last the ED in UNITED.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If it was you would also see evidence of another image on the obverse also.. It's not a double struck issue.

All I see is circulation wear.

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think what you mentioned as being extra letters on the reverse of your coin is actually the serrated like edge of a Lamination Error across full coin edge to edge from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. I also think there is PMD to the T of cent and ED of united as Collecting Nut stated. Some of what looks like damage is the lamination starting to peel up away from the surface of the coin.This coin has a visibly noticeable different texture on ether side of the lamination line. From the amount of wear it shows I would say your coin has been out of circulation longer than it was in circulation.

lamnation..jpg

15. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

Heres a little better picture of it. It no wood grain and it does look like its been rotated some during the process. Im gonna get this one graded. I dont mean to sound like an a.. The picture isnt that good. I can see it good even in this pics.

Attached Files:

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is just a Lamination error. Common on older wheat cents. No need to send it in for anything. It's not worth it.

And.. You can send in any coin for grading.
    Grading has to do with the condition state it is in.
    You would send an error or variety for attribution which is a separate proccess by the graders. Separate fees apply so it's a bit more expensive.

Not worth it.

JorjeFresco64 likes this.
  17. JorjeFresco64

JorjeFresco64 Member

Ok. Thank you very much for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted