Help with Russian 1/4 Kopek and Prussian 2 mark!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by zach24, Dec 2, 2011.

1. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I've had both of these coins for a lil' while and I wanted some opinions.... If I'm not mistaken, the little one is Russian, 1/4 Kopek, and the second is a Prussian 2 mark... I wanted an opinion on the grade and values of these peices, and also a translation on the Prussian piece. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petro89

petro89 Member

You are correct as far as what they are. Definately need bigger pics to tell you a better grade/value. The Prussian looks AU and is probably worth around 20 bucks.

4. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

1/4 kopeks 1897, copper, mintage - 3040000 pcs., mint master Elikum Babayantz. XF. Value - about 12$.

5. Siberian Man

I got mine for 30$.

Attached Files:

• 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • 42.jpg
      42.jpg
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Nice example. Most of these I see have been cleaned. $30 is a fair price.

7. Siberian Man

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Prussian piece was issued to commemorate the anniversary of the "An mein Volk" appeal from 1813 when Prussia started fighting against Napoleonic France. The words "Der König rief und alle, alle kamen" (roughly "The king called, and they all, all came") are from a song written, also in 1813, by Heinrich Clauren, a writer in the Prussian military. Well, the king did not actually call but rather reacted, but coins show a ruler's or government's view of the world and of history anyway.

At the bottom, "Mit Gott für König und Vaterland", ie. "With God for king and fatherland". Hard to tell whether these coins were issued to get people prepared for the next war which started one year after those pieces had come out ...

Christian

9. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

It's too bad the Russian coin isn't the defeat of Napleon 1912 Rouble instead of the Prussian piece. If the Russian coin were the commem, you'd be holding a coin worth thousands.

Draft saved Draft deleted