Help with possible coin error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by autty, Oct 27, 2021.

1. autty

autty New Member

Hi! I just started my hobby, so I don’t know much about goin errors yet, but I’m wondering if anyone can help
    Me out two coins and if they might be worth anything at all. The first is a 1974 no mint quarter (looks like it might have errors on the United States on the reverse and the word “in ” on the front ) and the second is a non error 1903 wheat penny. Thanks for your help in advance!
    upload_2021-10-27_13-23-53.jpeg upload_2021-10-27_13-23-53.png upload_2021-10-27_13-23-53.jpeg upload_2021-10-27_13-23-53.jpeg upload_2021-10-27_13-23-53.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

no error and 1920

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The tail ( eagle ) shows die deterioration ( overuse) which puches the outside letters up against the edge. ( normal-no extra value) The head show a coin counter or other device that made the circular marks, again quite common and no extra. The back of the 1920 cent shows a combination of die deterioration as well as significant wear. All 3 are normal IMO, Jim

5. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

I'm still new at this too so don't quote me, lol. But it may be a slight off center strike on the '74. If I remember correctly what looks like a MAD (misaligned die) becomes an OCS (off center strike) if it's repeated on both sides of the coin.

I guess I'm more of asking the other more knowledgeable members than anything. :)

6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I see a total of 26 cents and both coins are just damage with circulation wear and tear.If it was me keep the wheatie for sure and spend the quarter on a rainy day.1903 wheatie?they don't exist!!!You're 17 years to early.From 1859 to 1909 was the indian head design,the wheat cents were made starting 1909 as well and ending 1958.

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing it just a quarter,its not an off center nor a Misaligned die strike.A MAD only effects one side compared to an off center strike which is both and the coin must have some design details missing to qualify.Also a broadstrike is for both sides to but all design details remain.

YankeeDime likes this.
  8. YankeeDime

Right on. I didn't realize design elements had to be missing on an off center strike. Like I said I'm still learning.

This is what I was seeing. Not sure what to call it now but the slightly doubled appearing edge on the left on both the obverse and reverse.

pixlr_20211027173821448~2.jpg

9. YankeeDime

Off-center broadstruck maybe? It's that a thing? Lol

10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

This is what @desertgem was referring to when he wrote: "The head show a coin counter or other device that made the circular marks, again quite common and no extra."

Some machine like this, maybe: (the good part starts around 3:15)

11. YankeeDime

pixlr_20211027173821448~3.jpg
    The red highlighted area is from a coin roll crimper correct? I was referring to the blue highlighted area.

12. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Ooh! Well, then...(in my best Gilda Radner voice)
    Never mind! :-D

YankeeDime likes this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

YankeeDime likes this.
  14. YankeeDime

Well I was close asking if off-center broadstruck was a thing, it's just called uncentered broadstrike, lol.

@Oldhoopster Any idea what the blue highlighted areas are caused from? pixlr_20211027173821448~3.jpg

15. YankeeDime

@autty sorry for highjacking your thread. Sometimes I see things people post and have a question but never ask so I never know. Maybe I've just had to much caffeine this evening. :hilarious:

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Damage from a roll crimper as others have previously posted

YankeeDime likes this.
  17. YankeeDime

Thank you sir. I didn't know a roll crimper would affect the areas that far out on the edge.

@autty sorry again for the highjack but hopefully now we both learned something.

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All normal and welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted